Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Reef turnover rate?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kylehansen

Reef turnover rate? Empty
PostSubject: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:24 am

I just set up my maxi jet pro (best powerhead ever!) in circulation mode in my reef tank for kicks and grins, which gives me turnover rate of 50x,Alot of people suggest around 25x but i think this is the perfect amount of flow. Anyone else experiment with the flow? seems odd that people seem surprised when someone says they have a 30x turnover rate in there tanks.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

that certainly works but alot of my tanks have alot of LPS wich tissues dont like disect flow so as long as its evenly dispersed your all good.there are also some fishes who will hide out more with so much flow as there are others who love flow.i believe every tank has its balance and flow rate alike.i do also believe that most people dont realize they could use a little more flow as well.oh yeah MAXI JETS RULE!i have been wanting to play around with a surge or wavemaker devive wich would solve all of the above problems.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

i have mostly inverts, so they seem to like lower flows.
Back to top Go down
tbonewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 8:19 am

I'm sitting at about 1500 gph turnover on my 20, which means 75x turnover, and everything seems happy. In my admittedly limited experience, it seems to be all about direction of flow. None of my corals have any pumps pointed straight at them, and I have them angled so the streams sort of meet in the middle and create a swirling effect.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 7:08 pm

tbonewarrior wrote:
I'm sitting at about 1500 gph turnover on my 20, which means 75x turnover, and everything seems happy. In my admittedly limited experience, it seems to be all about direction of flow. None of my corals have any pumps pointed straight at them, and I have them angled so the streams sort of meet in the middle and create a swirling effect.

i gotta see this, that sounds crazy, how does the water stay in that tank?
got pics?
but wow, i guess im all kinds of low flow here in my corner, lol.
Back to top Go down
tbonewarrior

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 7:29 pm

I will post a tank profile when everybody recovers from the recent move.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 pm

yeah, upon second thought its not super amazing, but i still wanna see it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reef turnover rate?   Reef turnover rate? Empty

Back to top Go down

Reef turnover rate?
Page 1 of 1