Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Feeding GBR Fry

Go down 
+2
badxgillen
Eyeballer
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:02 am

My GBR's spawned some time today. I'm planning to let the parents hatch the eggs and raise the fry on their own. It's their first spawning (mine too) so I'm not overly optimistic. They are in a 20G with a dwarf gourami and a < 1 inch pleco. Unfortunately, I won't be here for a couple days after they hatch. My wife will be responsible for feeding them. There is plenty of conflicting info online about when to begin feeding and what to feed them. Can anyone with experience fill me in on what's worked for them? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 2:33 am

i would definatly let the parents take care of the little guys.sometimes it doesnty work out the first and second time around but give em a chance.as fara s feeding them there are a number of prepared fry foods that work in moceration once they can feed.infusoria is another good on until they can go for micro worms and daphnia.the dwarf gorami may get a little harassed whern they start to herd the fry around.high quality flake food mixed in water and fed to the parents with a pipet in small amounts works too.maybehigher thinking will chime in at some point as he is breeding them i believe.any pics?
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:39 am

Not much time to take good photos of the GBRs. You can see the small pile of eggs in the very right corner of the tank down in the depression in the substrate.

They have been following my gourami all over the place. Maybe I should have chosen a faster dither fish. I removed the 3 zebra danios... wondering if I should have done it the other way around. He's standing his ground for now. Will see what happens when the fry hatch. I've got a picture of the victim below also.

Feeding GBR Fry 01712

Feeding GBR Fry 01910
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:59 am

if you dont have tank space for the gorami you can use a breeder net wich is pretty cheap until you figure it all out.once the eggs hatch and the fry become free swimmming they will become more aggresive.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Great advice. I've read mixed reports about whether to put other fish in the breeder net or to put the fry in there. What do you think? Honestly, I'll just be fired up if we get to the point of fry hatching without making a snack out of the eggs.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySun Aug 28, 2011 2:03 am

have they hatched yet.i would just put the other fish in the breeder net.if you need a tank devider or some live foods drop me a line.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:57 am

I've been away at a meeting for a few days. I received a text message from my wife two days ago that said that all the eggs had disappeared. I returned today to find a whole mess of fry in the breeding pit. They are moving around a little bit, yolk sac still present. I'm not sure why they became invisible and then re-appeared. She swears that they were gone. Anyhow, I wish I could have been here to see the hatching. Will take pictures when they are a bit bigger. The parents seem to be leaving the gourami alone right now. I have a breeding net for him in case this is just a temporary lull in the battle. Will keep you posted on how it goes.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:04 pm

they parents move the fry alot so sometimes right as they hatch the parents move them to an even more secluded area.good deal though.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 pm

Do you carry pre-filter sponges at animal house? I should probably slip one over my filter intake.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyMon Aug 29, 2011 5:02 pm

sponges work out pretty good as does rigid filter floss.if you cant find em i would give you enough to cover it.you could also use a sponge filter and put the intake in it.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 pm

Still going strong. They are about 5 days old. Eating well... or at least they seem to be. It certainly creates a swarm of activity when I feed them. Hopefully the numbers don't begin to dwindle. Sorry about the poor pic quality. Best I could do.

Feeding GBR Fry 00310
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyWed Aug 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Feeding GBR Fry 004_co10
Back to top Go down
Mzsunshine99

Mzsunshine99

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:17 am

Ok I'm just gonna do it..... Even if I'll sound like a dodo:-) what is a GBR?
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:32 am

Asking questions is what the forum is for. The fish you see in the picture is a german blue ram... GBR. They are Amazon cichlids that like low pH water. They tend to be a bit delicate so a lot of people have difficulty keeping them alive.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:34 am

Those little specks you see in the two pictures are GBR fry. It's hard to tell but I counted 120+ in one of my pictures. I'll be very pleased if even one of them survives to maturity.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:45 am

Feeding GBR Fry 00710
Back to top Go down
Mzsunshine99

Mzsunshine99

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:28 am

Wow!!! Beautiful fish!! Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:37 am

AAAWWWWW MAN...i am excited for you.i hope you get some out of the batch.do you have another tank for the future.and if you need some live foods let me know i have a lil bit still.best of luck.you must be doing something right.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for the live food offer. I'll definitely take you up on it. At some point in the future I'd like to try a daphnia tank. That's a ways off for these guys but I'd be grateful if you'd share some advice about it in the near future.

As far as tanks... I have the 20g in the pictures and a 10g with a few fish in it. I have another 10g ready to fire up. I'll probably keep that one glass bottom and use a sponge filter. I don't want to jinx myself by thinking too much about what I would do if I had dozens of new adult fish to house. I'm sure that 50G total would not nearly cover it. I guess I'll prepare to cross that bridge when I see it coming.

Thanks for all of your solid advice.
Back to top Go down
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 1:13 am

Eyeballer wrote:
Those little specks you see in the two pictures are GBR fry. It's hard to tell but I counted 120+ in one of my pictures. I'll be very pleased if even one of them survives to maturity.
How is this going these days? My parents took their fry to three days of free swimming until they ate them today Sad So frustrating!!! That's exactly how long the fry lasted last time and this is their 5th or 6th go around. I have been paying so much attention to this tank and literally took a nap for 30 minutes and woke up to all the fry gone. I keep saying I'm just going to intervene and raise the fry myself, but I really want them to do it on their own. I did a water change in the tank today and can't help, but wonder if that had something to do with it. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 2:29 am

i bet the change did play a part in it but i also say intervine.raise a few up see how it goes.even in a breeder net in the same aquarium.we need more baby rams.
Back to top Go down
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:10 am

badxgillen wrote:
i bet the change did play a part in it but i also say intervine.raise a few up see how it goes.even in a breeder net in the same aquarium.we need mdamnore baby rams.
Damn bro, such a fail! I haven't even thought about that or I would have done it for sure. I keep thinking I'll have to rearrange one of the tanks to home them, but that is so simple yet I haven't given it any thought. I have one too just laying in a box.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 11:09 am

They are at 5 days swimming and the school is still intact. The numbers might be down a bit but it's hard to tell because they are much more spread out now. She's letting them roam in about a 12 inch radius. Every once in a while she'll dart across the tank, grab one in her mouth, race back and spit it into the school. She also attacks my hand every time I reach into the water to inject BBS/First Bites combo into the school. Yesterday I woke up and school was gone. It was pretty early in the AM. A couple minutes after the lights came on, the swimmers emerged from the sand. They had kind of hunkered down in a sand pit while the lights were off. Pretty interesting traits they've evolved. Will keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 pm

Eyeballer wrote:
They are at 5 days swimming and the school is still intact. The numbers might be down a bit but it's hard to tell because they are much more spread out now. She's letting them roam in about a 12 inch radius. Every once in a while she'll dart across the tank, grab one in her mouth, race back and spit it into the school. She also attacks my hand every time I reach into the water to inject BBS/First Bites combo into the school. Yesterday I woke up and school was gone. It was pretty early in the AM. A couple minutes after the lights came on, the swimmers emerged from the sand. They had kind of hunkered down in a sand pit while the lights were off. Pretty interesting traits they've evolved. Will keep you posted.

Yea they do that at night. They will take the whole school and tuck them into a tiny ball somewhere. Then they stand guard over them all night. Pretty interesting for sure!
Back to top Go down
Mzsunshine99

Mzsunshine99

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 am

Couldnt help it:-p i went out to A.H. And bought a female GBR. Have to wait for a nice male though:-( hopefully couple weeks!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Feeding GBR Fry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding GBR Fry
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next