Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cyano Bacteria

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 3:22 am

so i have had a problem with cyano bacteria in a couple of my tanks for a while now and it has been getting worse and worse.i did some research and conversed with some fellow hobbyists and decided to combine the most succesfull ways of eliminating this stuff in one routine.so first the %50 water change and cleanup of the glass and filter.this will cut back the nutrients that may be fueling the cyano.then the tank will be blacked out for about 4 days this will also serve as a starvation period to really get the bacteria weakend.then in the end i plan on bombing it with the M.C. Maracyn nd that should nuke the remaining invaiders.SHOULD.
[img]Cyano Bacteria  Dcp_cy10[/img]
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 9:59 am

I was under the impressions that maracyn is a very strong antibiotic to be used in a hospital tank. Wont it wreak havoc on your bio filter, causing a spike and leaving the system weakened, starting the whole thing over?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 1:24 pm

i was actualy getting there.yes the maracyn is a powerful antibiotic that will indiscriminantly destroy bacteria.for this reason i have removed carbon and the actual filters as they will be replaced after dosage and water changes.in addition to this i will be using a couple absorbant medias until i am in the clear as i also want to eliminate as much as the source problem as possible.even without the extra precautions that i will be taking i have seen this nuiscance thwarted with one or more of the forementioned remedies.i was at a fellow hobbyists last night and conversed some about it and i believe a conjunction of these fixes is the way to go.we also talked about the cyano being able to use fixed nitrogen so i am contimplating using a phosphste and nitrate remover in the first month.your input on this would be apreciated as you are good at finding the weak links.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 11:42 pm

man this stuff isnt cheap as each batch only treats 100 gallons for one day and just about anybody i have talked to has said to go with a full 4 day treatment as if it can come back stronger if not done right in the first place.a kind of resisitance i suppose.
[img]Cyano Bacteria  Dcp_cy11[/img]
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 1:17 am

I have a question about removing filters. If you do a water change as you described and save 4 gallons or so in a bucket, can you just plunk in the filters and let them sit out for a week or so? Will the bacteria still be there? (Let's assume that you keep them at room temp or something like that.) Or, would you need to put in a small amount of ammonia every couple days in order to keep the cycle going?
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 2:31 am

the bacteria will stil be residual but you are right as the bacteria population will decline without sufficient food.i just put in some flake food to supply some bioload to feed on.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 am

i also forgot to mention that oxygen is pretty key in the larger colonies of bacteria so an air stone is in order if you cant place it in another aquarium or filter until its needed again.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 1:57 am

almost done just another day and then a water change and we will see. Question things are looking pretty good in the tank but that could very well be from all the water changing and dosing.now i also have to decide on a temporary absorbsion media.definatly zeolite but i need something else i am sure.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 am

Purigen. Its renewable
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 12:42 pm

NICE!i will look into it as i am aiming to go as low cost as i can,along with low maintinence.i was also thinking about bumping up the flow as ths always helps in a salt water aquarium.do you think that will be a way to go?i dont want to invest in a larger powerhead if i dont have to.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyWed Dec 14, 2011 2:41 am

so here is the pirahna oscar tank after the treament and black out and it looks great.
[img]Cyano Bacteria  Dcp_cy12[/img]
now i am opting for the zeolite until i can find the purigen.i am also putting a little more carbon in for good measure.
i wish i had a before pic as it was bad!!!.it also stank like the algae everytime we did a water change and now it is crisp and clean looking and smelling.hopefully it will remain that way.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 1:32 am

this may sound stupid, but does this apply to saltwater as well?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:00 am

much of this does apply but the erythromycin would be replaced by a redslime remover and the zeolite with a phosgaurd or something to absorb algae causing nutrients.and especialy more flow in salt.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:29 am

i really do need more flow in that tank, so that makes sense...
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 am

badxgillen wrote:
much of this does apply but the erythromycin would be replaced by a redslime remover and the zeolite with a phosgaurd or something to absorb algae causing nutrients.and especialy more flow in salt.

Try this with saltwater yet? I have been trying to find the active ingredient of chemiclean but cannot find any info yet. Many people think it may be erythromycin. Other think possibly a polyacryamide. i just know its cheap and available, thats why they wont give up the goods
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 11:45 am

like a low dose of erythro? i know that in the higher doses it will indescriminantly destroy the good with the bad.i might have to try out some in a bucket with a test coral.i know i have some red slime here somewhere. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cyano Bacteria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cyano Bacteria    Cyano Bacteria  Empty

Back to top Go down

Cyano Bacteria
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Fresh Water :: Fresh Water Diseases and Disorders-
Jump to: