Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

help me save my brain :(

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shutterfish

shutterfish

help me save my brain :( Empty
PostSubject: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 10:47 pm

My brain coral

help me save my brain :( IMAG1457

It used to be beautiful

help me save my brain :( DSC_0155

That second picture there was after I got it from a previous owner (that whole 29 gallon tank). It was under a 250 watt 20k XM mogul halide bulb- same hood and ballast as the previous owner. It was doing amazing. Then when I changed to a 46 gallon tank with dual 250 DE halide 14k bulbs (which after a year I switched to XM 20k DE halide bulbs) it started going downhill. It has been going downhill for months and months and is looking crappier and crappier.

The reason i havent removed it from the tank is bc my clownfish use it as a host. THey LOVE it... they have no anemone. Could their use of it possibly be adding to the deterioration? Or is it just slowly dying under too much light?

I plan on moving it to another tank oon but I dont want to upset my clowns... but they will be upset if it is dead and gone too. Another issue- that aquarium has flatworms and though I DID dip it today to try and heal it (just a guess there but i did it) but I am reeeeally hesitant to put this in the 56 gallon tank that has the original light it used to live under bc of the flatworms. Even after dipping i dont trust that ONE of those little fockers will survive and spread their plague to aother one of my tanks.

Anyway, any ideas based on the picture? My guess is too much light... and that I need to move it...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:06 am

first off i would certainly restrict the clowns acces to the brain until you decide to actualy move it and treat it for flatworms.if it were me i would whip up an egg crate cage that would not only keep the clowns out wich have most likely helped cause some of the stress to the coral.and it would act as a bit of a light screen until you can figure out what may be irritating it and where you may want to move it. i know its unsightly but i believe it will help while you figure out the negative factor.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 1:41 am

Agree with badx. Needs filtered light, preferably blue (20k). Also get those clowns away. They cant be mad, they are fish
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 pm

thanks guys... so, they are already getting 20k in that tank.. it is dual 250 watt 20k halides for 5 or 6 hours and 12 hours of 1 10k T5 and 1 actinic T5. The SPS love it, some of the other coral just dont.. like this one i think.

I moved the coral to another part of the tank and put a different open brain in its place and the clowns have hosted to the new one and left the other alone in its new spot. I fed it spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and coral frenzy tonight. It ate- no tentacles out but it opened its mouth and ate all that goodness.. i hope that helps. I added a touch of iodine to the water (tiny amount). Just did a water change recently but will do another this weekend.

I need to get a 40 gallon breeder set up to QT all the coral and fish in this tank soon... get rid of those damn flatworms once and for all... I can move this coral to QT then and give it less light and see if that helps... unless it continues to go downhill without the clowns and then i'll just move it soon...
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 pm

oh and fish can certainly get mad!!! Smile that female clown will bite the hell out of me when she sees me messing with her shit Wink haha
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:07 am

well you gotta do what you gotta do, and to my understanding clowns can use a coral to death through stressing it, so i would QT it from them and of course gotta treat them flatworms...
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:23 am

theRedSkull wrote:
well you gotta do what you gotta do, and to my understanding clowns can use a coral to death through stressing it, so i would QT it from them and of course gotta treat them flatworms...

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 12:59 am

well, looks like you are right. I removed the brain and placed it in a small QT tank along with other coral from my flatworm infested 46G... I dipped it in melafix and it has been in the tank for a few days and had its tentacles out this morning so i fed it and it ate and looks much happier. It has a ays to go but it looks much much better in just a few days. sweet Smile
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 6:48 pm

glad to hear that...
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:57 pm

If I can add my two cents, removing it was definitely the best thing to do, clowns are notoriously bad for stony corals. if you can feed it every 2-3 days (depending on how long it takes to fully egest its cunsumed food) it will heal and even grow much quicker. Smaller foods are a much better option (mysis shrimp or smaller) as less energy is used to digest and more energy goes right back to the coral and you can feed them more often whey feeding small food. Assuming light, flow and water parameters are all correct, feeding is the most neglected part of coral husbandry and you really will see amazing results if you feed your corals the correct foods.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 am

Good point about larger foods taking energy to digest. Most people dont realize that. It also can rot before it gets expelled..
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:37 pm

thanks for pointing that out. I think you are right- i feed my fish every day but i dont often enough shut off the pumps and feed those coral... taking advantage of early morning when their polyps are out, etc. This brain is in my 7 gallon QT tank right now and it is fat and happy and has its polyps out all day long. So awesome to see.

Thanks for the tips on food size too. I will take that into consideration Smile I was doing mysis mixed with some of that powdered "coral frenzy" food. Seems to be a hit! Smile
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 pm

oh hey robert- check out that picture in this post and look at how small everything is. That sarco down in front is the one on the left side of my 46 now. That hammer in the middle is that huge mofo i keep having to frag because it is so huge, and the hydnophora of course... it is a monster now, even after lots of fragging... fun to see Smile that was about 1 1/2 years ago
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 am

The Mysis are a great food to feed. Some of the best foods are found right in your grocery store, though. Shrimp, Scallops, mussels and fresh fish are all super good foods to feed (very high in omega-3's and other lipids, any orange seafood (shrimp) will have High caratenoids which help with color among other things. The trick is getting them to the right size, I just stick em in the blender and go at it till they are pureed. another great food for corals with highly developed digestion systems, such as your trachyphylia, are fish eggs from the asian market. these are only good for large mouthed heavy feeding corals as they have a fairly thick membrane and are somewhat large, full of nutrients though. Glad your coral is making a comeback!
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am

sweet, that is great info, thanks! I am gonna hit you up for more because I think the next step in my reef keeping is going to be priming my coral for optimal growth and happiness. I have been trying to keep my coral happy and looking good for years, of course, but i have never really focused on it and fed for optimal growth and such. I might as well since I want this stuff to grow and be healthy! Thanks for the tips
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 am

Definitly hit me up anytime you want, just make sure to keep it all public on the forum, we are all learning together and I appreciate input and advice as much as the next!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help me save my brain :(   help me save my brain :( Empty

Back to top Go down

help me save my brain :(
Page 1 of 1