Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

generator needed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
burningbaal

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Hey guys, posted on PNWMAS too, but you guys are local:

I'm getting my breaker panel replaced tomorrow and it might have to come with new feeder wire and main mast...if it does, it'll mean no power in the whole house for a long time...probably 4-8 hours.

looking for a generator to run a 150w heater and a koralia 550 for several hours. that's not much, only about 2 amps, but it is important.

can anyone help? please?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:12 pm

sorry man...i know some hardcore reefers but none of them have back up generators.we all talk about getting one but then when th emoney is around we get system upgrade or whatnot.when i have had power outages for that period of time nothing bad has ever happend.if you are worried about a temp drop you can raise your tank temp to 82 degrees and cover the tank with a blanket for insulation during the down time.if you are wrried about oxygen exchange then i would just grab an inexpensive battery operated pump and put in quality batteries.you should be good...maybe somebody here has a generator but i dont think anyone in town has one.....maybe?
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm

thanks for the reply, badX
turns out the electrician is going to bring one. I'll run a cord out to his generator for the heater and a koralia. he said it'll be 8-10hrs, so I'm glad he's bringing it.

for people's reference, I called philomath rental and they had a couple for $27/day or about $80/week. even the smallest will run 1500 watts, so that's plenty for most tanks (that's 12.5amps, a lot of breakers in houses are only 15 amp breakers).

thanks for looking!
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:39 pm

For only a few hundred watts just get an inverter for your car. I have one that does 400-500 watts. Only like $40. Way too small for my longterm needs but its enough to run a heater and powerhead to keep the ice at bay lol.

I like the idea of home depot rentals. I just have a feeling they go fast or cant be rented if the power it out
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
burningbaal

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 pm

mvpaquatics wrote:
For only a few hundred watts just get an inverter for your car. I have one that does 400-500 watts. Only like $40. Way too small for my longterm needs but its enough to run a heater and powerhead to keep the ice at bay lol.

I like the idea of home depot rentals. I just have a feeling they go fast or cant be rented if the power it out

inverter is a good plan. like I said, the electrician has got me covered this time, but I may get an inverter to cya for an emergency down the road. as you said, to keep the ice at bay.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 am

mvpaquatics wrote:

thats how we ran command posts in the army, hummvees double as generators and commo points...
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 11:34 am

Another idea for future reference might be to get a battery backup like the ones that they use to keep computers running during power outages. They are expensive and it wouldn't be worth the money for one time use. It could provide some protection if someone had a very delicate setup that could not tolerate even a short time without power. Here's the item if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1500G-BACK-UPS-10-Outlet-1500VA/dp/B003Y24DEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331220567&sr=8-1
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
burningbaal

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 12:32 pm

I am actually planning to get a battery backup for the tank's heater and return pump at some point, but don't have it yet. Also, they don't run super long, depends on what size you get, but i needed it to last about 7-8 hours.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 pm

im pretty sure the heater will kill that battery backup in a short time...
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:21 pm

not as bad as you might think.

they're built for computers, which generally run 400watts-800watts for a typical desktop. and that's not including the monitor, printer, or whatever else you're running.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:28 pm

we have a backup at my house and hooked up the tank heaters to it once, it went for less than an hour...
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 12:15 am

The backups I have at work are 1500V/865Watt. If I were going to use it on an aquarium I'd probably just hook it up to the heater and leave everything else plugged into the wall. With corals maybe you'd need to keep the water flow going also but that would certainly eat up the battery pretty quick.
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
Sponsored content

generator needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: generator needed   generator needed Empty

Back to top Go down

generator needed
Page 1 of 1