Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

90 gallon mixed reef being born

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
burningbaal

90 gallon mixed reef being born Empty
PostSubject: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:42 pm

OK, it's time to start the thread Very Happy the plan:

we're building built-ins for a wall in our living room that will be shelving for books/knick-knacks, entertainment center and the new tank. spot for the tank will be ~4'9" wide and 22" deep, so it will fit my 90gallon (with plumbing) just fine.

got a used 90gallon with three bulkheads across the whole width of the back, I will be installing a coast-to-coast overflow box with two pieces of 3/16" glass 4 3/4 wide, so it'll be 4 3/4 tall and about 4/12 front-back.
I will have two 1000pgh koralias and a 550gph koralia for movement
danner Mag7 for a return, probably split it for possible algae scrubber, possibly also for a water-change port (have it pump the gallons out)
picked up an unlabeled (possilby pacific coast imports) skimmer, apparently 200g rated, makes fabulous teeny bubbles, hangs over the sump.
have a total of about 100lbs of rock (including what is already in the 55)
trading my (tempered) 55 for another one (Kimberlee in salem), so It'll be a std 55 for the sump
planning 10-12" wide for the drain and skimmer chamber with a pair of baffles to catch most of the microbubbles
about 6" chamber on the far right for the return - being drilled by Kimberlee's friend for an external return (the mag7 pump)
remaining middle section (about 30") will be a fuge/reactor area.

Fuge:
lots of chaeto
any extra rock I've got.
probably a 2"ish sand bed for macro-algae
have some plastic mesh (like for cross-stitching) to use as an algae scrubber, might rig this off the mag7 and have it drip into the fuge area
will be lit by two clamp lights running 27w of 6500K CFL each

my sand bed is nearly new (about 9 months), and I've got lots of critters that stir it up. I'm going to re-use it with a rinse or two.

The process (as planned):
I will have about 20-30 gallons of saltwater ready (made with fresh RO/DI, kent salt and Prime)
I will drain about 20-30 gallons into a big tub I've got and move all the corals and the rocks that aren't buried in the sand into that tub.
then catch the fish and inverts (goby and pistol shrimp may prove un-catchable even without rock), probably also go in the big tub.
Also comb through the sand to get the chesnut snail, sand sifting star and as many other snails (nasserious, etc) out, into the tub (or maybe 5g bucket)
then siphon/scoop all the sand into a second tub, hopefully not harming the goby/shrimp/whatever else
stir it up in the tub, let settle, pour off the water and re-wet with clean water, probably repeat.
then put the 'base' of my rock in the 90 (this rock has been cooking since october).
move all the sand into the 90, put a platter on the sand to 'break' the water stream
start putting water in (a mix of water from the old tank and new water), adding rocks from the tub as depth allows (keeping it wet)
move critters to the 90 once catchable (as the rock clears out)
get making new water so the water level ends up about an inch below the weir
leave it dark overnight, run skimmer as HOB, heater in the DT

clean old 55, go trade it out, install baffles in new 55, let silicone cure overnigh
fill the new sump with water, move the skimmer, finalize plumbing (esp return pump)
turn on the return, check that everything works
move heater, make sure light timer is operating
get some chaeto

...enjoy the awesomeness bounce.

planning to do this all one of the last two weekends this month.

any thoughts? critiques? shouts of outrage? wanna help Wink?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 am

nice...you really have all this thought out.and is the tank really going into your wall.that is so sweet.just a heads up is i like to use the overflow to run the algae scrubber so that it doesnt divert any power from the pump.not sure if that will work in your system but i thught i would throw that out there.what are you going to run for lights?is it a reef tank ..i know it is Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:45 am

post pics...
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 1:44 pm

badxgillen wrote:
nice...you really have all this thought out.and is the tank really going into your wall.that is so sweet.just a heads up is i like to use the overflow to run the algae scrubber so that it doesnt divert any power from the pump.not sure if that will work in your system but i thught i would throw that out there.what are you going to run for lights?is it a reef tank ..i know it is Rolling Eyes

It's technically not 'in' the wall, but it will look built-in. the built-in cabinets will be wall-wall and floor-ceiling. should look pretty good

good thought on the overflow running the algae scrubber, think I should use the durso or the siphon?

I have a Tek 8 bulb 48" T5 fixture I'll be mounting for the new reef-yes, a reef. I'm hoping to move towards hard corals with this setup, the wife loves the colored sticks and I'm a sucker for montis and chalices.

pics will come, nothing to show yet, the 90's covered in dust in the garage, the cabinets are still being painted (pre-assembled).
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 am

i can imagine this is all going to look pretty sleek when all is said and done.some mad fish cabinets full of some good reading and fish related goods.maybe a couple of coral skeletons that can be displayed without shame.sorry just thinking through the keyboard. Laughing but i would use the siphon.i suppose it matters whats best for your setup idea.there are alot of methods that all work.
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

That all sounds pretty awesome...full siphon for the scrubber, check.

I've also toyed with doing a no-fish SPS Pico that could go on the shelves too. Maybe a 12" cube with a 'sump' at its rear, lit with leds and do lots of water changes.

But the 90 is what's getting my attention for now...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:37 am

when you setup a succesfll reef system you always need another smaller tank to house some seperate frags and a specialized SPS sytem or any other specialized sytem will work wonders with the aquaculturing of coral.there are just so many types its hard to pick one.its all mixed reef in my house. Smile
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 11:38 am

OK i take that last somment back. i do have a couple tanks that house a particular type f coral since they seem to do well there.such as a zoa nano.
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:07 pm

Lauri really likes the colored sticks, so this would kinda be her tank probably. might get a sexy shrimp or two if the params are easy to handle. I'm thinking I'll do half gallon from my DT every couple days (that's about 12%) and 50% with new SW every week (and probably use the 'old' SPS water as part of a WC in my DT).

another thought: I'm thinking of putting a frag rack in my sump under the 6500K CFLs (for the algae scrubber/chaeto). My thinking is that they may not look super great, but it replicates natural sunlight so they may grow particularly well there, then transfer to a high-K place to color-up?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:30 pm

that will work for many corals.just keep them in a shallow tank or whatnot and you should be good.i know many soft corals actualy frag faster under this instance.then you move them to a system with a nice 14000-20000 kelvin bulb and within a week they sparkle like the mother colony.this also wokrs for amny stony corals but not so much with some of the SPS and other deep water species.
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

cleaning out the 90 (upside-down) and new-to-me sump (55g drilled near end for external return).
90 gallon mixed reef being born 2012-03-24114235

and the built-in cabinets (not built in yet, but painted). we have now got 1/3 of it pretty much together, hoping to get at least another 1/3 done tonight, maybe more.
90 gallon mixed reef being born 2012-02-26130031
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 3:42 pm

also, those 'cabinets' are in the kitchen/dining area, I'm standing in the living room to take the picture.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 3:05 am

WOW.. Shocked looks like quite the remodeling project.i suppose its a real good time to do the upgrade.and looks like some pretty clean work done on the drill and bulkhead placement ..were did you get it done and how much?is there going to be one return line in the display? and in the sump i see three hole two i presume are for the returns but what is the bottom hole on the 55 for?

Last edited by badxgillen on Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 pm

badxgillen wrote:
WOW.. Shocked looks like wuite the remodeling project.i suppose its a real good time to do the upgrade.and looks like some pretty clean work done on the drill and bulkhead placement ..were did you get it done and how much?is there going to be one return line in the display? and in the sump i see three hole two i presume are for the returns but what is the bottom hole on the 55 for?

90's bulkheads are old since garret had the tank. The two upper ones on the 55 are old and plugged, the bottom one is for the return.

Downside is the counter the tank is going on is only 22"deep, nut the bulkheads and fat elbows make it about 23", so I'm going to need to buy new bulkheads/plumbing.

The three bulkheads on the 90 will all be drains, there will be a return hanging over the back

Thanks for the complements!
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 3:19 pm

Trim those bulkheads down and/or get some street 90s that go inside it
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:29 pm

so you basicaly got to shave off a inch or two yeah?are you going to baffle your sump with galss or acrylic?i somtimes regret not doing so in my sumps but i do like the space to capitalize on more livestock. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 4:50 pm

I got new bulkheads at HD, super low profile, fits the holes hat are there and I should be good. The old plumbing was glued to the bulkheadd, so I have to cut them off completely. Working on the stand and plumbing today, we'll see how far I get.

Sump is baffled with 3/16" glass, but just 12" on the drain/Skimmer section and 5" for the return soill have about 30" for the fuge (and miscellaneous stuff)section!

Last edited by burningbaal on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 6:29 pm

coming together!
90 gallon mixed reef being born 0E5F9B60-orig

found a teeny leak in my overflow box, will silicone that tonight and check the sump's baffles for leaks, once that's settled (and silicone is dry) I'll make the water salty and put some rock in (from a tub that's been soaking in the dark for 5 months)

hoping to do the move within a week!
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 6:30 pm

apparently commercials are a bad time to take pictures...I'm not here to promote gambling Very Happy
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 1:57 am

Laughing very funny with the gambling...but i suppose it wont hurt to keep fingers crossed for fixing the overflow.and man those are bright lights on top...T-5s from the looks??thats one bada$$ entertainment center in the works.lotsa cubbies and shelves to fill...not to mention a big tank to play around in.do you have any before pics of your current tank?it will be quite the transition.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:07 am

looks like its coming together nicely...
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks for the kind words, it certainly has been a lot of work, so it's nice to hear that it's paying off!

They are t5's, an 8-bulb tek to be specific...poor corals wont know what's coming, it'll be a trick to acclimate from my 64-watts of t8!
I think everything is ready, I've got the plumbing all situated I think. I'm lacking a valve after the return pump, but it may run OK for a while and wont be too hard to add later.

I've got other things I have to do tonight, but hopefully I'll get the rock out of the tub (been "cooking" since October with minimal attention) by the beginning of the weekend, then it's just the real-deal-move!!!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 11:44 am

yeah you might have to rock half the lights for a week or two.i have done some pretty traumatic light changes and sometimes you will get a bleaching out from the new intensity.not always but a really nice euphylia i stilll have that is pretty much ghostly now comes to mind when i think about big light upgrades.and if you dont mind me asking what corals are you keeping in there as of now?any coral pics?
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm

badxgillen wrote:
yeah you might have to rock half the lights for a week or two.i have done some pretty traumatic light changes and sometimes you will get a bleaching out from the new intensity.not always but a really nice euphylia i stilll have that is pretty much ghostly now comes to mind when i think about big light upgrades.and if you dont mind me asking what corals are you keeping in there as of now?any coral pics?

I'm planning to run 1/2 the lights with a shorter photoperiod for a while, probably also put everything near the bottom. probably only run the lights for 4 hours the first week. I've got two clamplights i'll have on the fuge, I'll probably put on on the DT while I have shorter photoperiods so I don't confuse things too much, but it's not much light.
the plan:
first 7 days: one 27w CFL on for 12 hpd, 1/2 of my t5's on for 4 hpd
second 7 days: increase the t5's by 1 hpd each day, probably remove the CFL after 4-5 days
days 15-27: all 8 builbs on for 6hpd, increase by 1hpd every other day
so after 4 weeks, they'll be accustomed to 12 hours with all 8 bulbs.

currently, it's basically zoas, palys and softies. I've got the sarco from you (growing well), cabbage coral, anthilia, fuzzy mushrooms, one acan (about 8-10 heads), gsp and more coraline than I know what to do with Very Happy. should be getting a birdsnest frag really soon. hoping to move to mostly LPS/SPS in the future (hence the ridiculous light).

old pic of cabbage coral:
90 gallon mixed reef being born 199
gsp:
90 gallon mixed reef being born P9130599
anthilia:
90 gallon mixed reef being born P9130597

I should do some picture taking of my corals before the move though, thanks for the reminder!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 8:00 pm

nice i love before and after pics.thats some nice cabbage.i have a frag but for some reason its not the fastest grower.i dig the macro of the anthelia polyps.i might need to grab some of those at some point. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 90 gallon mixed reef being born   90 gallon mixed reef being born Empty

Back to top Go down

90 gallon mixed reef being born
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next