Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Floating Refugium

Go down 
+2
mvpaquatics
Reefman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reefman

Reefman

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

I probubly should have shown this step by step, but it was actually really simple. I just pluged the ends of a piece of 5/16" nylon tubing with aquarium safe silicone then wrapped it around the plastic basket and attached it with zip ties. I intened to put a layer of crushed coral in the bottom of the basket and then put the plants in. It should float nicely in my 125g tank. I am doing this to help burn off excess nitrates in my tank without letting the plants cover my reef and become a problum with Corals. I hope this works. If it does I'll let everybody know with another post. geek
Floating Refugium 00110
Floating Refugium 00210[/url
[url=https://servimg.com/view/17263108/34]Floating Refugium 00311
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

The pipe insulation that home depot sells works well. Its that black foam that goes around pipes to prevent freezing. They are cut lengthwise so they snap over the sides of strainers and such really well. I have used them to seperate fish and house anemones temporarily
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 1:37 am

a little isolated patch of macro algae....nice.it should make a nice refugium for the little copapods as well.
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: (RE): Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptyFri Mar 23, 2012 11:29 pm

Ya I thought about using stirofoam insulation or caulking cord at first but I did'nt have any on hand. Everyone knows I'm to cheap to buy anything unless I have to lol! . I allready had this stuff on hand.
Its not floating as well as I had planned so I guess I'm going to have to by the insulation anyway. If at first you dont succeed try try again. And in my case again and agian and again confused
Thanks for the advice though. the pipe insulation is going to look better anyway!!!
Back to top Go down
bored808

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 6:03 pm

Hey this is a great idea, ive been tryna figure a way to have my macro in my tank w/o it getting in my rock work as well.
ive been using a breeder net, but i think that its gonna start growing nitrifying bacteria, no good! lol
great idea, hope u figure how to work out the kinks.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Hey I like your idea too!I think it would be a great place to put soft coral frags.It may even keep the hermit crabs from stealing the food from my acans.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptySat May 19, 2012 4:08 pm

kelicruz wrote:
It may even keep the hermit crabs from stealing the food from my acans.

OHHHH I hate that! I cant stand when hermits and shrimp do that! and even worse, sometimes my sailfin tang will sniff out the food and go after it, I cant stand watching him slurp on the feeding tentacles like they're spagetti noodles!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:52 am

kelicruz wrote:
Hey I like your idea too!I think it would be a great place to put soft coral frags.It may even keep the hermit crabs from stealing the food from my acans.

good idea...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Floating Refugium Empty
PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium Empty

Back to top Go down

Floating Refugium
Page 1 of 1