Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Little Snails

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 5:42 pm

so i have had some of these snails in a couple of my tanks reproducing but i for some reason dont have them in other tanks even when i have deliberatly put them there.i can only think that it may be consumed by a tank inhabitant or that a certain enviromental condition has not been met and this has me wondering what fishes i have that may me the snail remover.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:35 am

i have seen baby bumblebee snails in my hex tank actually...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:39 am

check these ones out.i also hasve some cone shaped snails i cant egt a pic of and some limpets wich are pretty cool.i would love to see some of your bumble bees.[img]Little Snails 4-18-119[/img]
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 1:44 pm

I have those snails too. Huge numbers of them come out at night. They seem harmless and the tank looks cleaner in the morning. But seriously, they're obviously reproducing cause I must have hundreds of them by now. I'd swear my little brittle stars are multiplying too...does that happen? I've never seen anything about brittles reproducing in the aquarium.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:05 pm

badxgillen wrote:
check these ones out.i also hasve some cone shaped snails i cant egt a pic of and some limpets wich are pretty cool.i would love to see some of your bumble bees.[img]Little Snails 4-18-119[/img]

Uh oh...those ones in your hand look like a zoa eating (sundial) variety. Kyle and I have known about those for awhile now

Check out the link, you will see the pic: http://www.zoaid.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=384
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:39 pm

hmmmm? it does look rather similar.the tank that i have many of these has no zoanthids and has not for some time so they must be able to live off of other fares.i will have to keep my eyes peeled for them in other tanks and see if i can correlate it with lack of growth or zoanthid disapearance.i know i have seen them in more than one of my tanks Embarassed when i first posted this i thought to myself that they could be sundial snails but them i thought nah couldnt be and left them be.
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails EmptyThu Aug 02, 2012 12:24 pm

I think our snails are something different. I looked at one very closely and it doesn't really look like a sundial. Makes me think of nerite-like instead. One thing for sure, my snails are the same as badx's snails. Although I didn't get them from him, nor he from me.

I have just 2 zoanthid colonies in my tank. One is actually spread around the tank (rearranged the landscape last year). My green zoas are very happy, especially now that they're out from under the intense light zone. My yellow polyps have been shrinking and looking more tepid as time goes by. I feed them, but I think they don't like their location (also rather intense light). I'll move them when I do my next rearrange.

Anyway, I don't see my little snails on either zoa, and my green zoas are thriving. Evidence that our little snails are not that mean sundial. Still don't know what they are, or how I got em.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Little Snails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Snails   Little Snails Empty

Back to top Go down

Little Snails
Page 1 of 1