Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mystery Plants

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NPTAloha

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: Mystery Plants   Mystery Plants EmptyFri May 25, 2012 5:48 am

This plant must have come into my tank as a stow away at some point because I never planted it and I don't know what it is. At first I thought it might be some sort of small ozelot sword. The leaves are thicker and don't feel rough like other species of Echinodorus.
Mystery Plants 2012-014

Circled in red.
Mystery Plants 2012-015

The other plant is some sort of Java Fern (I think). I have other types of JF - Needle Leaf, Normal, and Windelov, and this is built exactly like the others (hairy brown water column roots, stiff green rhizome, stiff leaf stalk) but the leaves are totally different. The seller I got them from gave me a bunch of needle leaf and windelov and this was in the bunch. I asked him what it was and he said he couldn't remember the name of it but it is a Java Fern that he got at an AGA convention one year. I can't seem to find it on any forum or on google.
Mystery Plants 2012-016
Mystery Plants 2012-017

The second plant reminds me of Water Sprite, but the root/stem structure is all wrong. Plus, I've owned Watersprite (and wisteria) and this is not the same as the stuff I owned.

Any ideas? What am I missing?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Plants   Mystery Plants EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:46 am

bolbitis heudelotii is one of my favorites.they can get big but grow real slow.another aquatics fern.grows in splash zones as well like the java fern.dont forget it grows a rhizome as well.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Plants   Mystery Plants EmptyFri May 25, 2012 11:50 am

the other plant does reesemble an echinadorus species but there are so many.i would let it grow a little and then ID.where did you grab these plants? i would love some narrow leaf java fern but it looks like you no longer need any of my plants.hmmmm maybe we can work something out.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Plants   Mystery Plants EmptyFri May 25, 2012 1:19 pm

good ol bolbitus. I love that plant...works well in very damp vivariums too...I like it due to its slow growing nature.

The other one looks like it could even be a cryptocorne of some sort...correct me if I am blindly wrong, I havent had much NEW plant exposure the last year, just same ol same ol.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
NPTAloha

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: bolbitis heudelotii   Mystery Plants EmptyFri May 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Yes. It's definitely bolbitis heudelotii. My Google Fu tells me that this is also called "African Water Fern". I was only searching for different species of "Java Fern" so that was probably the problem.

Badx, once I get the ferns established in the 130 and they start to grow legs, I'll definitely trade with you. I still don't have any glosso or HC, so I'll be on the market for those in the next month.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mystery Plants Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mystery Plants   Mystery Plants Empty

Back to top Go down

Mystery Plants
Page 1 of 1