Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Empty
PostSubject: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:22 pm

So i deided to help keli out and improve her system with a sump.my good friend hooked me up with his tru view 20 gallon for cheap and this was the main hold up for geting a sump as i can drill acrylic and not glass...yet.she cant do a hang on back overflow do to space constraints so this was key.here is the tank right after i got home.
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  4th_2011[/img]
the sump is going to just be another 20 gallon that will have no baffles as to maximize space for other life forms so it will be more of a refugium sump/frag hang out Smile
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  4th_2012[/img]
i just built a basic 2*4 stand as this is the sturdy cheap way to go and will alow for maximum usable space.
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  4th_2013[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:27 pm

here i drilled a hole and then used a dremel to widen it out.this is my method until i can snag the proper bits Rolling Eyes
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  7-15-110[/img]
i am also improvising and making my own bulk head with a gromet and a male and female adapeter that i have sawed off part of the end.
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  7-15-111[/img]
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm

Hoping to start this project soon . I plan to move all my algae into the new sump.The tang cant keep up with all of it.I am also considering having no substrate in the display tank.However,I would really like to set this new system up for chalices,acans and favias.Any suggestions?
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  July-111[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

i would go with a smaller diameter crushed coral for the bed...this will make an ideal place to house the LPS you mentioned as well as the fungias you like so much. i can also drill a few rocks for you so you can do away with the egg crate...or at least some of it.maybe a background? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: DIY   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyTue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 pm

This improvised bulk head is such a great idea.They seem to be a specialty item that is never around in the size you need at the time you need it and i hate waiting for parts to a project. This is also so much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Here is a photo of the completed project.Bert put it all together this Monday.I am planning on adding a refugium and more live rock.Some more corals and lighting would be nice too.
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  July_210[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:48 am

the pieces in the sump are from the old algae scrubber that was mounted right on the inside of the old tanks rim.this acrylic tank wont have room to fit it in as there is no lip.the top has a maxi jet with a sponge to help clear the tank of debree.things are looking pretty crystle now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Bert, we need to get you some bits. Don't hole saws work on acrylic? What sizes do you want? 1.25 inch for 1 inch bulkhead is my most used.

That hole in the picture was.......interesting.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Razz yeah i can see how the out of focus hole that i had smeared with silicone would look rather awkward but i asure you that it is not as ghetto as it seems and is holding up rather well.on the other hand ..for some reason i was under the impresion that i needed a finer toothed hole bit to make the holes for acrylic tanks but now that you mention it i will try out my standard bits.
i love your comment... we could all use a laugh Laughing
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Hey lookin good so far! afro I think it looks much better! Better than my pile of rubble tank Laughing .
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 2:04 am

dont worry...your tank should be coming around soon.after cycling again and all.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 12:09 am

Oh no its a pile of rubble with not-so-good lights and nothing but a few small fuzzy shrooms. And well 2 normal shrooms. At least my other salt looks half way decent. Not POTM decent though.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: kitchen tank update   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Here is a recent photo of my tank.I added a marine glow atinic light.I still have no lighting on the sump because of outlet limitations.So it looks almost the same except for the added skimmer.Some of the larger specimens (like the fungia) I am coral sitting,but maybe the owner will forget to pick them up.Also I recently introduced a scopis Tang I got for X-mas.
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  New_co15[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 am

nice!things are really coming along since you got the true view setup.you need a branching coral in there left center.let me know if you want to snag something.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Move in specials   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 pm

I would like to try some branching corals in the backround.I like the blue coloration on the Truvu tanks ,however I am now obligated to clean the back of the aquarium.I think rather cover it up with some upward growing corals.As you can see all the lower real estate is occupied.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Jan 19, 2013 2:47 am

green sarco maybe?birds nest?
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: UPDATED PICTURES!PIC HEAVY   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am

Here's the main display.No fish at the moment.I have a fire shrimp that I never see,two brittle stars,nassarius,turbo,and astrea snails.Also whatever blue leg hermits that make their way down from the third story.Lots of coral goodies as well.
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5135" />
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5136" />
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=
Pectina from MVP Aquatics
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5137" />
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=
Gold dust chalice
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5138" />Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=
Bert's Nursery
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5139" />
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf3910" />
Upper frag rack
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5140" />
Niles acan and season greetings monti
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5710" />
A nice favites I got for Valentine's day
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf3911" />
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 pm

That first coral is huge, what are you feeding it? I really like the chalice but the plating corals are pretty cool too, montipora I presume. So much has changed since the last picture. It all Looks great.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 5:47 pm

The tank looks like it is filling in with LPS corals. The branching corals will be a real nice addition and maybe fill in some spots up top.I have a gorgonian that I can frag for you,that might add some motion and purple to your tank.
Looks Great by the way,happy corals is what most people aim for and it looks like your corals are going bonkers.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 6:41 pm

Tinsle wrote:
That first coral is huge, what are you feeding it?  I really like the chalice but the plating corals are pretty cool too, montipora I presume. So much has changed since the last picture.  It all Looks great.
Thank you! The frogspawn gets frozen food about once a week.It rests right underneath the sand pipe, which helps deliver food.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 6:50 pm

badxgillen wrote:
The tank looks like it is filling in with LPS corals. The branching corals will be a real nice addition and maybe fill in some spots up top.I have a gorgonian that I can frag for you,that might add some motion and purple to your tank.
Looks Great by the way,happy corals is what most people aim for and it looks like your corals are going bonkers.
I would appreciate that,thank you for the complements!I could use some more purple in the tank.
Here's photos of the third story,notice the freshwater background.It creates a nice effect and l have seen the fish interact with each other.
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5144" />

Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5141" />
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5142" />
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5145[/img]
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: There's more   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 7:14 pm

And finally a pistol shrimp and yellow watchman pair:
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf6210" />
The utilitarian sump,which includes a melanarus wrasse,lantern puffer and two engineer gobies to keep things interesting:
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5146" />
And a full view of the whole system:
[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf5147[/img]
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Some coral pics   Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptySun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Rufus frag

Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf8219" />

Rainbow lobo
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf8121" />

Elder Acan,this colony is a least five years old.
Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  <a href=Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf8122" />

Ice Fire Enchinata with sea hare

[img]Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Dscf9410[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 12:38 am

I miss my rufus acro, it looked so nice and then had necroses from the bottom up.That specimen is showing that great green undertone I love so much,a turquoise effect. Your corals have some great color, must be just the right amount of phosphate and nitrate. Are all of these under LEDs?
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  EmptyWed Dec 17, 2014 1:02 am

Thank you Badxgillen! There's two nice Rufus frags reserved just for you.This coral changes color as it grows.First it grows green all over,then the tips turn blue,and then to turquoise.It's just beautiful.I dose a lot of magnesium which may be partly responsible for the color intensity.These corals are growing and photographed under 3 watt full spectrum LED's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build    Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build  Empty

Back to top Go down

Keli's 20 Gallon Kitchen Build
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next