Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Starfish mayhem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

Starfish mayhem Empty
PostSubject: Starfish mayhem   Starfish mayhem EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 pm

My husband just added a bright red orangesh looking starfish. It looked fine yesterday, although I wasn't here for the acclimation, so I am not sure what method he used. Today the one of the tentacles seem to be coming apart, for lack of better wording. So far it doesn't seem to have spread anywhere else but the one leg. Does anyone know how to prevent any more of this? I was doing some research and found no answers.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Starfish mayhem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starfish mayhem   Starfish mayhem EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 2:34 pm

not a good sign...could be from dirty water, or a bad acclimation, or rough shipping, starvation, etc. I am guessing it is a type or fromia star. These are incredibly sensitive animals. They require CAREFUL handling from ocean, from divers to wholesalers to retailers to home. Your starfish probably made 4-5 stops and acclimations between ocean and home. Each stop, the person needs to handle the animal carefully and drip acclimate for 3+ hours (not gonna happen from divers/wholesalers). They are incredibly sensitive to pH and salinity changes, and don't particularly like nitrates and phosphates.

They are very specific eaters and probably havent had proper food sources for days to weeks. They require LARGE tanks that are WELL established with a diverse flora to munch on. They can be kept successfully in captivity but it is rare. I recommend not purchasing these animals because demand fuels supply. I would avoid linkias also

For more info google: starfish melting or starfish falling apart, unfortunately it is quite common
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

Starfish mayhem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starfish mayhem   Starfish mayhem EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:00 pm

yeah, when I googled the symptoms I noticed it happened frequently and with a lack of answers in how to solve the issue. My params are great, I'm guessing the poor critter wasn't acclimated long enough. I was really hoping I would be able to find someone who was successful with these stars. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

Starfish mayhem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starfish mayhem   Starfish mayhem EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:10 pm

Starfish mayhem Photo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Starfish mayhem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Starfish mayhem   Starfish mayhem Empty

Back to top Go down

Starfish mayhem
Page 1 of 1