Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My main tank -- got a new camera

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
reefmadness

My main tank -- got a new camera Empty
PostSubject: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 2:33 pm

So I got a new camera and finally took a photo of my favorite tank.

I made the cabinet stand and canopy (woodworking is one of my other hobbies).

The tangle of cords on the right side are the power modules of my controller system.

The display tank is 40gal, the sump is 20gal (full to 15gal). I have a 10gal refugium that sits on its own matching cabinet, with a chiller underneath, that are usually sitting next to this tank but those aren't shown in the photo (maintenance). I'm currently building another matching cabinet to sit on the other side that will house maintenance supplies and a big power backup system.

The lighting is bright -- 86W of LEDs in 3 units.

Filled with a mix of LPS, SPS, softies, only 4 fish, and the usual horde of hermits, snails, stars, brittle stars, worms, pods, macroalgae, etc. Corals are just starting to grow large enough to look like a real reef. Took about a year (with a few "difficulties" along the way).

I spend a fair amount of time staring into this...addicted to my reef.

[img]My main tank -- got a new camera Overvi10[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 am

WOW Shocked that is bright.86 watts of LEDs.i would love to see the sump and refugium.i the refugium plumbed into the main system?duel overflows too right?and what are the four fishy residents?
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 1:27 am

thats a nice setup...
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Please don't ever let my wife know how much is tied up in this "box of water". I know everyone here has a good idea though.

Yes, 2 overflows. When the refugium is in operation, one of the overflows goes into it, and then that has a drilled overflow that heads down to the sump. It might have been overkill to get 2 overflows, but I figured I wouldn't get a chance to have the display tank drilled again if it wasn't enough, so I got 2 holes.

I'll post a pic of everything in place once I get it all set up again. The sump is crowded (typical). There's an AquaC Remora skimmer in it (I like that skimmer), a PO4 reactor, 2 filter socks, some LR, a bag of carbon, an auto top-off system with reservoir, and temp/pH probes. Oh, and one big submersed pump for return. My ghetto dosing pumps are gone. They didn't work, so I'm back to dosing 2-part manually. I'm seriously considering a CA reactor now. I guess I haven't spent enough $$ yet!!! I'm pretty sure drugs would be cheaper than a reef tank.

The lighting is bright. I should mention that one of the LED modules is acting up, so its about 12W shy of 86 right now. I'm going to replace the module soon. I found that I need to dial down the day length when all the modules are running so that the corals don't get overloaded with light. So I have a longer dawn and dusk period than I'd like, but its not about me, its about my precious corals and fishies. I might place a grid of light blocker in the canopy someday, but for now we're all happy so I'm leaving well enough alone. My simple lunar lights (4 LEDs) are on their own timer, but I've been looking at the Digital Aquatics Moonlight Module that runs your lunars exactly like the phase of the moon outside. So, when its a new moon out my window, its a new moon over my tank, and when its a full moon outside -- yep, full moon over the tank, and so on. I think the module runs about $70, which is one of the cheaper things I'm scheming for.

Fish are nothing spectacular but I like them. 1 Ocellaris clown, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Chromis Damsel, and 1 Pacific Pygmy Angel. If I had to get another fish right now, it would probably be a Reticulated Dwarf Hawkfish (Plectranthis?) or one of those awesome Wolf-faced Pipefish (I think that's what they were called) at Premium Aquarium in Salem. I've never seen such cool fish (not brightly colored, but they're just amazing to watch). I'm a firm believer in keeping fish bioload to a minimum. I could probably run more fish, but I like the wide margin for error-and-emergency that few fish provide.

I think its time to feed now...
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:15 pm

that is a hell of a setup for a 20gallon tank...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:50 am

i forgot to ask what about the camera? Razz
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:51 am

oh and some pics of the sump would be nice, and that refugium....whats in there? do you happen to have any odd ball macro algaes?
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 12:05 am

Wow thats one nice 20gal tank! What corals are in there? The lighting looks too bright see Very Happy
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

The display tank is 40gal, but the sump is 20. I think this still qualifies as a "nano" setup. Its the largest tank I can talk my wife into. Bigger is not an option, so I went for boosting my overall water volume with the 20gal sump and the 10gal refugium (working as a QT right now).

The lighting is bright. I continue to dial down the day length, but I'm going about it very slowly.

The sump is dark, but the refugium has Cheato and some kind of Caulerpa. There's a tiny clump of Halimeda in the display, and badx knows I have Neomeris around the display (likely some in the fuge too). You don't really cultivate Neomeris, you just have to be lucky to have it in your system and it will pop up here and there. I usually have a few lurking around at all times, but I've gone for months without any, then they start showing up again. Oh, I have bubble algae too (Valonia or Ventricaria), but I don't want it!

The coral population right now:
LPS: 1 Acanthastrea, 2 Caulastrea, 1 Euphyllia ancora, 1 Goniastrea aspera, 2 Turbinaria peltata.
SPS: 1 Seriatopora hystrix, 2 Pocillopora damacornis, 1 Montipora digitata, 4 Monitipora capricornis, 1 Stylophora pistilata.
Softies: 1 Sinularia dura, 1 Sinularia brassica, 1 colony Zoanthus, 3 colonies Parazoanthus, scattered Discosoma, 4 Capnella, 1 colony Pachyclavularia, 2 Sarcophyton, and way too much pulsing Xenia.
-- I could be missing something, but I think that's all for corals. This current configuration is over a year old now, so I'm looking to add more SPS, in particular I want to add Acropora.

The new camera is actually a new camera (I collect old cameras). Its an Olympus EP-2. This is one of the micro 4/3rds cameras that have interchangeable lenses but aren't big and bulky like a DSLR. I like it because there are adapters available so I can put my Leica and Nikon lenses on it. I just ordered those adapters a couple days ago. I should be able to snap some nice pics of my corals then.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm

you have quite a colection of your own in that tank.i cant wait for your new lenses either..i bet the corals look fantastic Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My main tank -- got a new camera   My main tank -- got a new camera Empty

Back to top Go down

My main tank -- got a new camera
Page 1 of 1