Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Needing some help

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Needing some help Empty
PostSubject: Needing some help   Needing some help EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:13 am

Back in March I bought a 75 gallon aquarium to replace my 36 gallon that currently is my salt water tank. I built a heavy duty stand for it, that includes 45-48 inches of space underneath the main tank. The main tank is pre drilled. I would like to make sure I have all the things it will need before I do anything about moving and transferring. I have read dozens of articles about setting up and have done ok with the exsisting tank but want to set this one up as good as I can with what I have. Plumbing help would be great. I get lost when looking at all the different diagrams I have found. Planning on a 55 underneath unless a couple of smaller ones would be better. Main goals are a healthy reef tank with a few fish and lots of coral. Also looking for a inexpensive protein skimmer and maybe canister filter.

All ideas and suggestions are welcome, please Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Needing some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing some help   Needing some help EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 12:51 pm

first off i and many others will tell you not to go with a canister filter if you plan on corals as they tend to just fuel your nitrates and act only to push water around wich many other devices do much better.as far as the 55 sump that would work fine but remeber you will want it twards the front of the stand for access as well as a really tall stand to add to the clearance if you use a 55 since they are rather tall and i have had much trouble getting certain equipment in and out of a taller 55.pre thinking where the equipment will go is also helpfull in the end.
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Needing some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing some help   Needing some help EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 am

OK so my goal is to have a coral heavy tank with plenty of invertebrates and no more than 6 fish. The tank is 75g, I plan on using the same rock and sand that I have now as well as adding a bit. I have the bulkheads with a return which will provide one point of flow, how many powerheads should I have in addition? I picked up a wavemaster pro last week and it can take up to four, should I use them all? What is the best placement? I have a million more questions but will ask them slowly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Needing some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing some help   Needing some help EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 11:43 am

Thats a big enough tank to make use of that wave master if you can.you can get a nice wave action with just two GOOD pumps but four and five points of flow on intervals would be very efficient.alot of the placment will depend on rockwork as well as actual power pushed through the circulation pumps.not to mention the inhabitants.many of the SPS love that high flow where as you already know your large polyps can tear from excesive current.I say use whats there Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Needing some help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Needing some help   Needing some help Empty

Back to top Go down

Needing some help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Community :: Community Discussions-
Jump to: