Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Finaly cut my platygyra

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Finaly cut my platygyra Empty
PostSubject: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

well in light of my big loss of corals i have been scared into fragging and backing up some of my more important types and what more important to me than my green brain.i have a few trusted people that i am going to give the opotunity/honor of keeping a daughter/clone so that this coral will never die.here is a pic of the bad boy prior to the operation.
[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Brain_10[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 6:53 pm

i didnt have my camera man on scene so there was no pictures of the actual cuts made.sorry folks.i just basicaly trimmed of a piece of skirt and cut that into a few 2 inch pieces.its funny as i didnt remeber this guy being this large.
[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Brain_11[/img]
here are some of the frags in an iodine bath after being cut.
[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Brain_12[/img]
here is tha mother afterwards...not too happy at all but she will live.
[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Brain_13[/img]
these are the cuts in the tank.
[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Brain_14[/img]
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 2:55 am

You really cant tell that its even been cut,its grown so much.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 12:59 pm

to be honest i am suprised i have not cut it sooner.its become quite the beast Surprised i heard and am going to try at some point you can feed these guys pretty large prey such as shrimps and snails.this i am going to try...maybe it willl grow even faster.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Nice Job, Welcome to the club! They will eat lots of different food types. I have been pretty happy with marine origin seafood put in a blender and shredded very tiny. They will eat just about anything meaty they can grasp though. and yes that will help them grow faster. nice looking Platygyra
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:14 pm

indeed, a fine specimen...
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 am

Badxgillen, In the first picture where the coral is in the Tupperware the water is a tea color. is that just the camera being weird or is the coral being dipped in something. If so, what are you dipping it in and what is the benefit. I would love to know more!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 am

well now that you mention it the discoloration of the water is from an iodine dip.I use these rather frequently when taking cuts of coral with tissue that may tear.Many people use iodine as a preventative dip for hitchikers and other parasites such as nudibranchs and acropora eating flat worms but I find that if pests are your problem then you should use a dip that is more target specific for that aplication,as the amounts of iodine and the time left in the solution can cause harm to some coral species.I personaly use the iodine dips as a preventative or a treatment twards bacterial infections.I have a few other dips I use for when things are really bad but before it ever gets to that point the iodine should help stop infection before it happens.fresh cuts-fresh iodine.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Nice, i figured that was probably what it was. Are you using Lugols or is do you have a source for a stronger solution? I would love to talk more about specific coral dips with you sometime
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 12:15 am

I do use lugols as well as seachems reef dip iodine.MVP had some high grade iodine that i wanted to snag some of but I am not sure if he still has it.As far as dips I have a few things for the right occasions such as hydrogen peroxide,Flatworm exit,Coral RX,and my personal favorite Melafix.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 am

I have used a few of those, namely coral rx and Iodine on occasion. we should get together and talk more about this sometime as coral medications are something I am admittedly not well versed in, I would love to know more.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 am

yeah man we should get together and have a tank talk.My most valuable information, asides from experience, is from fellow reefers that are passionate about the hobby.I have also been wanting to talk coral foods again.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am

Yes I agree on all those points. We will plan something and get together soon!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 2:33 am

I am actualy going to be making some coral food here real soon and wouldnt mind a few pointers,I might even be willing to make an extra big batch and split it with a couple reefers.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 6:47 pm

Remeber the frag in the upper picture?[img]Finaly cut my platygyra Dscf5210[/img]
here is one of em.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 6:49 pm

Since I have backed this guy up I am taking it to the saw again and I might be able to trade one this time around.
Finaly cut my platygyra DSCF5217_zpsfc68a096
Good old band saw action.
Finaly cut my platygyra DSCF5220_zpsdc74208d
Back to square one Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finaly cut my platygyra   Finaly cut my platygyra Empty

Back to top Go down

Finaly cut my platygyra
Page 1 of 1