Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

wanted: sand and live rock

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanted: sand and live rock Empty
PostSubject: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 1:24 am

Just wondering if anyone has any good sand for sale and live rock or where I can get some
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 am

tou obviously know about the local fish stores out and about.here in corvallis there is only animal house but if you ask for some good diversity on the rock you are buying such as sponges and or dusters/copapods then you shouldnt be disapointed.i might recomend doing some base rock for the main structure then add some nice live rock to seed the new dry rock. as far as sand you can start with mostly new and seed it from a few other peoples sand beds.i will throw you some to get things going.how many pounds were you needing?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 2:18 am

It's a 30 gallon tall so in total I'm going to have 30 pounds tomorrow I'm going to buy 20 pounds of sand from animal house so I will probably need another 10 of other people's sand beds. Is they're a specific type of sand I should get to help get things going quicker or better
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 11:50 am

size is usualy what effects the microfauna and little invertabrate that inhabit your sand bed.for instance you will never have the little sand dusters in larger grade of crushed coral nor as many spaghetti worms and what not but on another note you will usualy get more of the larger copapods when using the crushed coral as they have space to colonize the first layer.also dont forget sand and smaller sized coral caneasily be pushed around by high flow wich can be quite a nuiscance.I have tanks with both sand and crushed coral and i like em both.niether will speed up the process.you can buy preseeded bags but i would recopmend just getting some live sand.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:44 pm

firegouramiman11,
I have a couple hundred pounds of live rock for sale right now...hows $4.00 A pound sound? let me know if that's something you would be interested in. cured, with lots of diversity. tons of sizes and shapes.
Kyle
(541)760-2594
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Feb 09, 2013 2:46 pm

forgot to mention I also have live sand and base sand as well
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Actually I had to take in a red devil for a friend so I don't have another tank right know so I will have to wait until he can take it back thanks though
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 12:27 am

not to derail the thread to much but I have had the exact same thing happen with the same type of fish many years ago and my friend never wanted him back as he just got bigger and meaner so I ended up having to take him to the pet store a couple months later.Not trying to jinx you though.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 12:30 am

I think I'm going to just keep him in a 55 for a while and if he doesn't come get him it's to bad for him I'm actually going to get a 20 long and do a reef tank in that is that a descent sized tank for a reef or should I go bigger
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 3:08 pm

20 longs are great for a little reef tank! Of course I always say bigger is better but a 20 long will be cheap to set up, wont take as much lighting (shallow) and is a great footprint for many aquascapes. if your still wanting rock or sand let me know. I have tons of rock and both live and dry sand
Kyle
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 pm

ok i will have to save up a little then talk to you about some live rock
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 am

cool, let me know when you want it. I always have plenty
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 pm

how long do you have to watch the fish?I love 20 long tanks as far as frags go,so much surface area in a small space.on the other hand the lack of depth limits your fish choices and any coral that really want to grow up is out of luck.dont get me wrong I also recomend setting up a 20 long,it will give you a scope of what your getting into.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am

Would a 55 be a better choice
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:53 pm

both are sweet tanks so i would recomend starting out the 20 and seeing how you like it.it will cost a bit less to get going and you can always move the inhabitants over if you decide to upgrade.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Feb 23, 2013 12:55 am

Ok cool thanks for the tips
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 am

I second Badxgillens advice. start with a 20 gallon and then upgrade later if you like it. and you probably will. the lower cost to set up a smaller tank will allow you to get into the saltwater hobby sooner. a smaller tank is easier to make mistakes in but it is also quicker and cheaper to fix those mistakes. start small where the mistake might cost you a couple hundred bucks or less instead of thousands. I personally can attest to making multi thousand dollar mistakes. In my greenhouse I killed over 200 pink ricordia Yuma a couple years ago. those retail at 35-45 bucks. you do the math...The ramifications of that particular mistake were felt for months in the 450 gallon system they were in...
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Do you still have the sand and rock available
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Yep, I still got tons (541)760-2594
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyThu Mar 21, 2013 11:56 pm

What would you charge for 20 lbs of sand
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Mar 23, 2013 1:16 pm

live sand 1.50 per pound
base sand: $0.80per pound
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:29 pm

I have been thinking about giving salt water another shot. so I was wondering does any one still have some rock for sale.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 7:12 pm

If you dont get any soon I can help you out some.What were you looking for? Last I heard Badguitarist was getting quite the amount of sand soon.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 11:59 pm

I just want some plan old base rock and what ever sand I can get ahold of. I want to get about 20 pounds of dry rock before I start cycling the tank then add some live rock over time.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 3:13 am

Yep I have a bunch of sand and tons of live rock. If you are wanting base rock just buy it online unless Badxgillen has some
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wanted: sand and live rock   wanted: sand and live rock Empty

Back to top Go down

wanted: sand and live rock
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next