An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ram Breeding

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Ram Breeding   Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:51 am

I've never tried to breed an egg laying fish, and I am curious if having Loaches in the tank would interfere. I know loaches, just like most fish will eat anything just laying around, however, I also imagine the rams will protect their eggs. I am not currently trying to breed rams (I dont even have a female yet) but I would like to keep the option open... I also really want to get some clowns...

Thoughts??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:28 pm

I know I already talked to you in person but I fugured I would respond to the thread a little.Many loaches will be sneaky enough to snag some of the eggs.The trick is to give the parents a safe egg laying territory via coconut,teracota pot,cave,ect. Even then sometimes a determined catfish/loach can infiltrate the nursery so it may be best to remove the loach depending on the species, if number of fry are of importance.once again it depends on the type of loach and the type of fish breeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 pm

many cichlids will be able to defend the "nest"from invaders but this is not always the case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Now this is all assuming my rams will eventually pair... I have a red tail shark and plecostomaus roaming the bottom. I'm assuming the will be fine. Do the rams have to have a smooth surface?? My tank has several caves and hiding places for them to feel secure, but none are smooth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

Now this is all assuming my rams will eventually pair... I have a red tail shark and plecostomaus roaming the bottom. I'm assuming the will be fine. Do the rams have to have a smooth surface?? My tank has several caves and hiding places for them to feel secure, but none are smooth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm

Also I am curious how you feel about Corydoras in the same circumstances?? (Different tank)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ram Breeding   

Back to top Go down

Ram Breeding
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1