Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nano reef time

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 am

Looking to set up a nano reef in my sons room, I was thinking between 10 and 14 gallons or something. I have been buying small pieces of live rock and putting it in my main tank to prepare. But now I have to pick a tank. Any suggestions? Or anyone know of a place to get a used one? I keep running into those biocubes. I'm a little nervous about starting a small one, I have heard its harder to maintain a small tank. Either way, I am looking forward to it because I really want some sea horses! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyTue Feb 19, 2013 3:31 am

the only thing that is harder with a smaller tank ,asides from lack of real estate, is that water perameters can change much faster than in larger volumes of water.On that note it doesnt mean you cannot have a real nice nano it just means that you cant stock it as heavily.If you stick to an invert focused tank you can achieve awesome results.as usual take it slow and you should be fine not to mention youn should be able to throw in a coulple of sea horses at some point.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:11 am

A 10 gallon tank would be the most economical and and easy to upgrade.On the other hand my first salt water tank was a nano cube.Here are some pros and cons based on my experience with the Aqua Medic Nano 9.
Pros- All your ugly components are hidden behind a black barrier.
They offer easy access to compartments that hold bio-media
Moon/nightlights may be included
Salt creep is easy to wipe down on the hood and outside areas
My model had a lighted area for a refugium
The hood is somewhat child safe.The light bulbs are encased in plastic.And the hinged lids can be tapped down if need be. In fact my 7 year old used to sit on it.I recommend placing the unit well out of reach.
Cons- The tank may over heat in the summer and chill during the winter months.
All the bio-cubes I have seen are tall VS wide.
Bulb replacements may be very expensive and specialized.You may need to find a place to order them.Also on my model the ballast burned out and had to be replaced.
And finally like badx stated earlier ,avoid over stocking your nano or you may need more tanks.If you can keep up with the water changes,the water parameters(pH,calcium,KH) will be more stable and prevent a lot problems.

[img]Nano reef time S7306710[/img]
Our 10 gallon quarratine tank sits on our kitchen counter and currently holds a snowflake eel.It is powered by a undergravel filter and a power head.
Back to top Go down
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 am

Man, I already know I'm going to want more tanks lol. But I want the nano reef so I can set up the OK coral of sea horses lol
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am

I agree with Kelicruz about the Bio-cubes. They are great little tanks but keeping them cool in the summer is a real challenge and they do seem to have a lot of problems with ballasts going out on them and the ballasts arent cheap. I would guess it has something to do with the ballasts being in the very humid hood.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Nano time?!   Nano reef time EmptyFri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 am

I was curious if you got a Nano up and running.I recently started a tiny tank in my kitchen and I got Nano fever.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:25 am

On another site there was once a pico tank competition where the tank had to be under 5 gallons,I recall there being a couple that were 3 and 2-1/2 gallons that looked pretty decent. One was a pest tank that ended up working rather well. I am sure they overgrew quickly but it was for a fun and games friendly competition so I think they were mostly temporary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nano reef time Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nano reef time   Nano reef time Empty

Back to top Go down

Nano reef time
Page 1 of 1