Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cleaning nets and gear

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Charrio

Charrio

Cleaning nets and gear Empty
PostSubject: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am

How much Vinegar per gallon is needed to clean nets and accessories?
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:45 am

I have always used 1-1 ratio as far as cleaning.Is i just to break down deposits?
Back to top Go down
Charrio

Charrio

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 2:39 pm

Tinsle wrote:
I have always used 1-1 ratio as far as cleaning.Is i just to break down deposits?
No for disinfecting my stuff, I thought I read long ago something about Vinegar being used. I may be off I'm trying to recall something from way back when.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:20 pm

you can use a 1-10 bleach solution in a pitcher or spray bottle outside and after wards thoroughly rinse and resoak in water that has been heavily declored,that will kill everything but is thought of as a little exreme.
If its for removing hard water deposits and calcium precipitates then vinegar is a good solution to that problem.
Vinegar does have antibacterial properties but i believe its due the the acidity and from my understanding you would want it pure or mixed with salt and that will do the trick,especialy if it was in a soak that would kill of everything.hydrogen peroxide is a good one too.
Back to top Go down
Charrio

Charrio

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:58 pm

badxgillen wrote:
you can use a 1-10 bleach solution in a pitcher or spray bottle outside and after wards thoroughly rinse and resoak in water that has been heavily declored,that will kill everything but is thought of as a little exreme.
If its for removing hard water deposits and calcium precipitates then vinegar is a good solution to that problem.
Vinegar does have antibacterial properties but i believe its due the the acidity and from my understanding you would want it pure or mixed with salt and that will do the trick,especialy if it was in a soak that would kill of everything.hydrogen peroxide is a good one too.

Ahhh OK, I will try the straight Vinegar with Salt, soaking my nets for a while.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: table strenght vinegar   Cleaning nets and gear EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am

I know that commonly available vinegar is already diluted and that it will slowly evaporate if left in a open container.You may use cool water to slow the process.
Back to top Go down
Skippy

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 pm

I like what the LFS does and uses a ton of salt and a heavy dose of quikcure medication.A triple hit to any parasites or fungus.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Formalin,malachite green,sodium chloride,and dont take the chlorine out of the dip water...some times they put in a little hydrogen peroxide but that disapates rather fast and has to be replenished.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 am

A medical professional told me that hydrogen peroxide use was discounted in hospitals because it will kill all bacteria,good and bad.So I may try using that at home to disinfect nets and hoses.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleaning nets and gear   Cleaning nets and gear Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleaning nets and gear
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Fresh Water :: Fresh Water Diseases and Disorders-
Jump to: