Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fish & Coral Food

Go down 
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:19 am

Here it is,the best way to get the good foods your fish want and need for not too much money.It does require a blender that should be used for this purpose only and it also makes a bit of a mess and smell but once your past all that its totaly worth it.I did get the smell out of the blender after heavily soaking and washing it with soaps "plural" then soaking it in a heavy bleach overnight.At least I think the smell is gone.
There are a hundred recipies out there for home made fish foods many using gelatin or whatnot to bind it while some others used pellets and other already processed foods such as pellets or sticks.I went with the all natural no additives aproach,well except the selcon and brightwell HUFAs. here is the ingredients I picked up for this blend.Its more on the carnivorous side but I did include some garlic and nori so there are some veggies.
[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1012[/img]
here is the list...
Cod,sole,snapper
prawns,shrimps,lobster
clams,muscles,oysters
squid,octopus
plankton,mysis,brine shrimp
nori,garlic,selcon,added HUFAs,vitamins
I think thats it.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 am

A note on the squids,THEY ARE TOUGH! I did not know this and they about burned out my blender literaly.They get all wound up in the blades avoiding most cuts.So after prying them out and tried to slice them,wich was not easy ,I thought that if I cooked them maybe they would be more cooperative.Instead they just sit there looking back at me emmiting there foul smelling inks.[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1013[/img]
first off they smell terrible,I mean awful.Second they almost just jump to attention in the boiling water as if they are coming bakc to life,and third and most disapointing is they are now just as tough as ever.just thought I would share this with you all and maybe you would be best off avoiding fresh squid for your mixes at home.

Last edited by badxgillen on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 am

Just look at all this seafood goodness,a buffet of the oceans delights.
[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1014[/img]
some shellfish
[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1015[/img]
the fish fillets,notice the tiny tentacle.

[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1016[/img]
here is most of the other tasty morsels.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 am

I cut most of this up and blend it all until its the consistancy I want.In this case I have some that I left a little chinky and some I blended longer as I have many corals and small fishes to feed as well.
[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1017[/img]
YUMMY!!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 am

Now lastly this blend will be frozen.You can use a number of things to freeze this stuff in such as mini ice cube trays,shallow non stick pans,rubber candy molds,and my favorite plastic bags.
[img]Fish & Coral Food Dscf1018[/img]
Just take some pliers and snap off a chunk of seafood medly,there is plenty to go around Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fish & Coral Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fish & Coral Food   Fish & Coral Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Fish & Coral Food
Page 1 of 1