An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

DIY Livestock Shipping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

PostSubject: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:31 pm

So I have been messing around with shipping livestock as I have had a friend who is moving a bit of a distance and it will make things rather difficult as far as exchanging specimens. I don't have alot of money and it seems shipping is not cheap so I racked my brain on finding the least expensive but most effective methods.I asked friends,looked online,observed my own shipments as well as the Local Fish Stores and then looked around for the easiest\cheapest way.one of the options was Fed-Ex overnight wich is not cheap about $30 for a small package then there is usps wich was $39.99 for a overnight priority shipping.These prices make coral shipping not to mention online purchases difficult on the wallet. I found that flat rate shipping is about the only alternative wich costs about $13-$16 so thats alot more affordable.Let me gather some pics and I will make a walk through on my shipping methods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 am

OK first we get some styrafoam,measure the box and cut out 4 panels that will line the box with insulation.Be carfull to leave just the right amount "half inch in my situation" on top for the lid panel when you finish closing the box.
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:40 am

Here we hav the bottom panel and the four walls in place and I am now lining the bottom with some left over bubble wrap,you can find it at the dollar store too.
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 am

I bagged up the corals and then place them on packaging tape.
[img][/img]
And then wrap the tape around the bottome edges as to prevent catching in a corner.
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:50 am

Got everybody bagged up, for this run I am shipping four corals.
[img][/img]
A rule is always double bag or better yet triple bag,tightly rubber banding each one as to seal any possible leaks.If there are any the post office will throw away the package livestock and all.
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:59 am

All packed snug into the box,any excess room should be filled with more bubble wrap or newspaper.
[img][/img]
add the styro top and a heat pack if needed,its really warm here and the destinations weather is nice as well so no heat pack for me,or cold pack.Label it up and take it to the post office.
[img][/img]
2-3 days later it arrives in its destination and everyone is happy...including the corals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 am

I remember Garret saying that you should leave a small amount of slack in the bag just in case there is pressure change during air travel.He said that it is possible that they can rupture and that would be a shame.This looks like a real solid way to ship some corals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Livestock Shipping   

Back to top Go down

DIY Livestock Shipping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1