Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

wanting a reptile

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyFri Sep 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Im pretty interested in reptiles and want a larger reptile that isn't super common like a bearded dragon I have been looking at tegus and monitors but was wondering if there is any other larger reptiles like that if not what are the smaller tegus or monitors and how big of a cage they need. thanks
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 2:47 am

All tegus and montiors are going to get at least in the 3 foot range so your enclosure would have to be at least 5 foot long and about 3 foot deep, preferably larger. Now if you got a smaller specimen you could get away with a smaller tank for a while but in the end they really need to be able to turn around in there environment with out being stifled,and lets not forget about the water dish as for large lizards you need large tubs. There are blue tongue skinks, water dragons, iguana variants, and uromatyx that get medium sized for lizards.Chameleons are pretty cool too.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 3:59 pm

water dragons sound interesting how big of a tank do they need I really want a chameleon but my parents don't like that idea because they say there mean.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySat Sep 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Chameleons are not mean in general in fact you should have them see Dale at the Animall House walk around with them on his fingers as they tag flies of the counter and shelves. Or I have another friend who has one that gets free roam for hours of the day in the living room on top of a ficus tree.

Water dragons are going to need a large tank as well being a larger lizard so at least a 75 gallon.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 10:39 pm

The animal house got in a nice shipment of herps. I saw some water dragons,savanah monitor, and sand fish.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 11:57 pm

How big do the Savannah monitors get? I really want a larger one but I'm limited to about 4.5 feet of room.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 2:10 am

A good sized savanah will get that big...A little under or a little over 4 feet.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 7:55 pm

so i rearranged my room and came up with enough space to build a 6x3x3 tank for a larger lizard but i cant decided between a tegu or a Savannah monitor. i saw a few monitors at animal house and they look awesome. does any one have experience with either of them if so what are there temperaments and such.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:39 am

I am a fan of both what you have listed the tegus and the savanah. With some handling they can become really tame.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptySun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

so I have decided to go with sav. I went and got all my heat bulbs and uvb bulbs and fixtures and bedding. I setup my 55 for a temporary home for it just until I get my big cage built. im planning on getting the smaller one they have at animal house. any advice or info that would come in handy.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 am

Just keep em warm,well fed, and handle him often. Also they love to make messes in the water dish including defecating in it so be prepared to have dish\tub you can get in and out easily.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 pm

so i got my monitor today. i had a hard time deciding between the Nile and the Savanna until i saw there attitudes. i put him the tank and he layed under the basking light for a while till i dropped a cricket in there he chased it down and gobbled it up so i put 2 more in there and he ate one then went and layed under his light again. Is it best to feed them a few crickets through out the day or all at once?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 12:39 am

The savanahs will gorge themselves until they cannot eat then go to digest the meal. Be wary when handling them after basking as the young ones make a defensive habit of releasing there poo on you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

wanting a reptile  Empty
PostSubject: Re: wanting a reptile    wanting a reptile  Empty

Back to top Go down

wanting a reptile
Page 1 of 1