Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Their is a new salt tank around here...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kilrin

Their is a new salt tank around here... Empty
PostSubject: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 2:20 am

Hello everyone,
I am completely new to this forum, and always looking for criticisim and advice concerning my tank and the way that it is set up. IF you have any current advice let me know. I'd love to hear some. I only have a 10gallon tank right now with a red pulsing xenia a peppermint shrimp, yellow goby, and a plethora of snails. But I can't wait to talk to all of you and get to know you all more.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 11:52 am

Well welcome aboard  Very Happy  Sounds like you are aiming for a reef tank? I have a nice little ten gallon tank I keep a few feisty characters in and it works out rather well. Are you running any chemical media? I usually have to run a bit of carbon in mine. I look forward to pictures of the little reef.See you around.
Back to top Go down
kilrin

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I use purigen. Carbon just breeds the nitrates faster...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:19 pm

UH OH,this just answered a question I posted in another thread. I love purigen and carbon. A winning combo fro water tints and removing soft coral toxins amongst the organics...Add nitrate removal and its gold,once and a while I use phosgaurd when the macro algae is not keeping up with the phosphate.
Back to top Go down
kilrin

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:51 pm

What was your question? Because, carbon can ruin a good salt system very quickly!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 9:50 pm

In another thread I was wondering what kind of chemical filtration you were using and you mention that here a couple of posts ago.
I personally run carbon in most of my tanks for a number of reasons.I may agree if you use too much carbon there can be some negative effects but for my systems it is beneficiary.On the purigen note do you know anywhere you can purchase The Bag locally? I have extra media but it will not fit in ANY conventional bag.
Back to top Go down
kilrin

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Amazon.com is yhe best... but animsl house has some that ddisentegate in the bleach for recharging
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 10:33 pm

Good to know,I found that the bags did not even hold the purigen under agitation and I started losing beads in my tank...NO GOOD!
Back to top Go down
kilrin

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 11:49 pm

Yeah. I use the prebagged ones personally... It is just easier to do.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 am

I don't mean to change the subject but I just wanted to say welcome! I noticed that you said you wanted to meet new people! I'm the Hamstern and I have been in the salt water hobby for few years. My efforts are primarily focused into soft corals but like everyone else here I'm here to help! Once again Welcome!

Back to top Go down
kilrin

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:15 am

Well Hello Hamstern! Thank your for responding. What type of softies do you have? And any tips on which are easiest? Always looking for more info.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Well I have many types of Mushroom corals, Devil's Hand, Star polyps and Zoas. As far as advice would go I would certainly take some caution when placing Softies around Hard corals...I have had many times where one of my mushrooms had touched one of my massive Monticap corals and within a day most of the Monticap had bleached out...I would also have to say that Soft Corals (For the most Part) are usually quite easy to keep and frag, and make great corals for newcomers and beginners!
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 1:33 am

Welcome to the forum. Smile 
Sorry about the late posting I have been absent for a little while. You know how life can be.I do love a nice nano tank and look forward to seeing some pics of your tanks transition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Their is a new salt tank around here...   Their is a new salt tank around here... Empty

Back to top Go down

Their is a new salt tank around here...
Page 1 of 1