Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Challenging Zoantharia Varieties

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

Challenging Zoantharia Varieties Empty
PostSubject: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyWed Aug 13, 2014 11:54 pm

Please post your challenging Zoantharia varieties here.Let us know what is working for you and what's not.Perhaps we can unlock the secrets of these high maintenance divas.
Back to top Go down
Tinsle

Tinsle

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:05 am

I have had some of the smaller varieties enjoy slightly higher flow than the larger palys. I was told by an experienced reefer once that some of the rarer types are from deeper waters or even turbulent crash zones in the ocean. I believe that this is also why many people keep them under high amounts of blue light, that and to really bring out the brilliance of the coral.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Very interesting,gentle constant flow seems beneficial to some of my colonies.Here are a few to get the ball rolling;

Mind Blowing palys
Challenging Zoantharia Varieties <a href=Challenging Zoantharia Varieties Dscf7010" />
I find these moderately difficult because they seem to prefer high light and constant flow.They don't compete well with anything,especially colonial polyps.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Speckled Fire:
[img]Challenging Zoantharia Varieties Dscf7011[/img]
I received a single polyp of these on 10/28/13.I now have five.So if my calculations are correct I can expect one new polyp every two months.These are 2 inches under T5's with constant current.Years from now if all goes well I will have a impressive group.Until then I will pick of the pest starfish that naturally find them delicious.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptySun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 am

I have also found that many zoanthids appreciate some organics in the water,basically not overly clean waters like low nutrient SPS tanks. This is not the case with many but I do know that some of my slower growing types go nuts in dirtier tanks with warmer kelvin lighting...They just do not look that great from all the brown zooxanthellae,give em some time under the blue lights in a cleaner tank and they should color back up in no time. Just a thought,experiments in the coral hobby are a big part of the fun. Let me know if I can "experiment" with one of those speckled fires when you have a spare polyp lying around.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyTue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 pm

Challenging Zoantharia Varieties 011_zps113b94d9
These are not the easiest as they always get out competed and grow rather slow,not the biggest polyps either. They are LA Lakers zoas
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Speckled Fire Zoanthids   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Here's a updated picture of the Speckled Fire zoanthids.I finally got enough of these to feel comfortable.

[img]Challenging Zoantharia Varieties Dscf4712[/img]

The minty green palys to the left are called "Limeades". This has also been a challenging,slow growing variety for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Challenging Zoantharia Varieties   Challenging Zoantharia Varieties Empty

Back to top Go down

Challenging Zoantharia Varieties
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Saltwater :: Coral-
Jump to: