Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance

Go down 
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance Empty
PostSubject: Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance   Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance EmptyFri May 08, 2015 10:30 am

Some times when a coral gets into a scuffle it is not via sweeper tentacles or chemical toxins, some times it is simply a matter of collision and when this happens the winner tends to be the faster growing of the two species. There are some obvious exceptions to this rule as some corals still have their  mesantenal filimants and others have developed a growth method that allows them to cover or shade their neighbors

Notice the burnt tip on this branching monti.

Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance <a href=Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance Dscf2010" />

Here is a green montipora capricornus growing into an adjacent red montipora digitata. as you can see the cap, with its faster growth and plating skeletal structure, is going to win over the digitatas encrusting and slower growing nature.

I will keep my eyes peeled and camera ready for more of these incidents as I have seen many but have documented few. It would be nice to have some photographed instances of corals running rampant.
Back to top Go down

Coral Overgrowth and Species Dominance
Page 1 of 1