Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Empty
PostSubject: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I have seen a few bare bottoms in aquariums lately and figured I would post up this alternative for a mess free  substrate. In reality this is all done for aesthetics as you no longer have the benefits of beneficial bacteria or other microfauna nor is it suitable for sand loving wrasses and gobies, but it does clear up the low flow issues and it still looks surprisingly good. I am thinking about a black sand for a nano in the future.

This first example was done by  friend who frequents Tropical Fish Keeping, known as Dylanmegyptian to most. Good guy with some DIY skills.

made a faux sand bed with famowood epoxy and caribsea agronite sand so I can have the asthetics of a sand bed with the ease of a BB

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed1_zps71nqnv0x

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed2_zpsixz3ften
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:42 pm

I used extra polcarbonate sheeting I had laying around to make the molds and covered them in wax paper so that epoxy wont attach to the polycarbonate and I can remove it after it cures

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed3_zps8crzbpby

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed4_zpsnqupykq9

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed5_zpshkrpsivu

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed6_zps1wq93ety

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed7_zpswrh9rtgc

Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Now look at this, looks pretty legit to me.
Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Dylanmegyptian%20fake%20sand%20bed8_zpsblqnjbax
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 pm

I must say this looks much better than what I had imagined, the descriptions I have heard conjures up images of a waxed floor over sand but this is very aesthetically pleasing and beats the bare bottom look.
Back to top Go down
https://bertshouse.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative Empty

Back to top Go down

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative
Page 1 of 1