An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

PostSubject: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I have seen a few bare bottoms in aquariums lately and figured I would post up this alternative for a mess free  substrate. In reality this is all done for aesthetics as you no longer have the benefits of beneficial bacteria or other microfauna nor is it suitable for sand loving wrasses and gobies, but it does clear up the low flow issues and it still looks surprisingly good. I am thinking about a black sand for a nano in the future.

This first example was done by  friend who frequents Tropical Fish Keeping, known as Dylanmegyptian to most. Good guy with some DIY skills.

made a faux sand bed with famowood epoxy and caribsea agronite sand so I can have the asthetics of a sand bed with the ease of a BB

Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:42 pm

I used extra polcarbonate sheeting I had laying around to make the molds and covered them in wax paper so that epoxy wont attach to the polycarbonate and I can remove it after it cures

Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Now look at this, looks pretty legit to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:10 pm

I must say this looks much better than what I had imagined, the descriptions I have heard conjures up images of a waxed floor over sand but this is very aesthetically pleasing and beats the bare bottom look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://bertshouse.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative   

Back to top Go down

Fake Sand Bed Bare Bottom Alternative
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1