An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

X is for Xanthid crab

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kireek

PostSubject: X is for Xanthid crab   Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:18 pm

I created this thread to consolidate my xanthidae crab notes and photographs. My husband found this crab when he was dipping his new coral acquisitions one night.At the time it was smaller than the end of a pencil eraser.I took it for a Acro crab and acclimated it to my main display.Where he promptly left the Acroporas and disappeared.Weeks passed and I didn't think he had made it.Then I found his molt.He was well and growing at a rapid rate!Once in a while I would spot another glimpse of him.Usually all that I could see was just a tiny claw at work. Over a period of a year I would take pictures whenever I got the chance.This was difficult because he would completely disappear whenever he noticed me. Eventually I was able to capture the photo below.In doing so I was finally able to identify him as a smooth spooners Xanthid crab.
http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/xanthidae/laevimanus.htm

The very best picture I have available at this time.In this photo he is upright and the claws(not visible) are tucked away.Notice the little "Last Airbender" arrow at the top of his head.Also there is a standard plastic frag plug to the right of him for size reference.

Generally speaking the xanthid crabs are considered problematic.*They are not considered reef safe.Fortunately ,I have not noticed any remarkable damage to my corals.He will pick at the tiny polyps on SPS such as pocillapora and Montipora.Although I do not not believe that he is actually eating the coral.He seems to be foraging in a random fashion as the polyps retract.As for the safety of the inverts I may never know.I don't count my hermits,stomatella snails or brittle stars.The larger snails including the nassarius are accounted for.

He does have a good appetite for algae.So reliably that if I place a hairy frag next to one of his areas,it will be polished clean overnight.This leads me to believe that this variety is primarily nocturnal.Always secretive. This guy is extremely agile and moves in quick calculated manner.He has been seen clinging upside down in tiny crevices and at awkward angles.Very rarely do I see the full caprice.Often all that is visible is a rock or coral shifting as he wedges his way around.

* http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/crustacea/crab/xanthidae/xanthidae.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kireek

PostSubject: Re: X is for Xanthid crab   Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:03 am

I am pleased to have the opportunity to view this inveterate in person.I hope for now that I have shed some light on these notorious creatures.If you have any thoughts or experiences with these animals,please feel free to share them here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: X is for Xanthid crab   Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Very cool write up and acknowledgment of the little crustacean, I know most of us would have fed him off to the eel or toad fish before thinking twice.

If you snag any other pics or behaviors of this guy be sure to share them with us here. I love to geek out on some of the little things in our aquarium lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: X is for Xanthid crab   

Back to top Go down

X is for Xanthid crab
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1