Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails Empty
PostSubject: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 am

So the apistogramma cacatuoides pair that I picked up a couple weeks ago decided to spawn. They were not a breeding pair and she's pretty young so I'm pleased that they paired off. They are in the same tank with several new nerite snails and a bunch of rainbows. Can anyone tell me if the eggs are at risk from the snails? Also, are eggs/fry likely to survive if I move them to another tank to without the female apisto? If I leave them in the 60G rainbow tank I figure that their odds are low based on pH 7.6 and the appetite of the rainbows. I just hate to move the female so soon now that she's comfortable. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 1:24 pm

AWESOME!!! Very Happy you can entervine and raise the fry yourself but your survival rate can go down.but being in a tank full of fishes that rate was slim in the first place.also as you probably know the PH could be a little lower and this would help in getting another spawn for the future.oh and i dont know about the nerites but being a larger snail i wouldnt trust them.i have a friend who hatches his reare apistos in ten gallon tanks without there mothers but remeber that you will need another established sponge filter and some fry foods to keep that going.i will see if i can chat with my friend and get a couple more answers as he has some nice teqniques.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Great. I'd appreciate any tips that your friend can give. I have a 10 g primed up with an established sponge filter. The pH is 6.5 so that should be good. I kind of like the parents in the rainbow tank so I think I'll try to raise them myself this time.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm

really really slow acclimation if you do as that will be more than a whole point of PH difference.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 8:25 pm

I moved the eggs over. Honestly, I just took out the rock that the eggs were attached to and moved it to the other tank. I made a new cave. I came home after being gone for a few hours today and, no joke, there are now wigglers in there. I'll be lucky if they survive. Probably not the smartest move... should have acclimated the eggs better. I must have got them out just in the nick of time. Will see what happens.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 11:06 pm

dang man that was fast.do you have infusoria?
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:19 am

No infusoria. Just microworms and frozen BBS. I wouldn't mind picking up a culture at some point. Would you recommend that for the apistos over the others I mentioned?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:32 am

i think they need smaller foods like liquid fry food and such but the baby brine might work.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:00 am

Maybe I'll start them on hikari first bites.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:12 am

i have some fry foods if you still needed any and one of my friends said that he doesnt trust snails with his eggs just the fry.there are some that are safe but he doesnt like having them in the tank.just thought i would relay that to you.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 3:25 am

I removed the fry after the last spawning and tried to raise them. It did not go well. None survived. The pair spawned again this week. I've left them alone this time. We'll see what happens. I've made the opening to their spawning cave small enough to keep most of the snails out. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll remove the nerites just in case.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 1:14 pm

with the parents there may be enough snail deterent to work and apistos spend little time in the egg state so maybe its no big deal? Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails   Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails Empty

Back to top Go down

Apistogramma Eggs vs. Snails
Page 1 of 1