Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shutterfish

shutterfish

canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? Empty
PostSubject: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:40 am

i got a canary/yellow choris wrasse about a week and a half ago. I put it in a 10 gallon QT tank that was also serving as my ZOA QT tank. Zoas had been treated with flatworm medication in a separate bucket then placed into this tank. I have a lot of carbon in the filter.

So, this wrasse has been awesome. It was at the store for a while and did well and ate well and acted great for the time I have had it. It is active and helthy and beautiful.

Then today I come home and it has this 1/4" x 1/4" red bloody internal bruising or something... I can't really tell what it is. It is beyond the gut and in the meat of the fish, though there's a chance this is coming from the very end of the gut- hard to tell. There is no exterior damage to the fish like he got crushed by something and there are no crabs or anything in the tank (just added hermits today when I saw the injury).

This video MAY help, though it isnt that clear. It definitely looks blood red and the skin of the fish looks perfect. He is also still acting normal and eating happily

ideas?

https://youtu.be/tccsdQsjiwg
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 2:42 am

dang man sorry to hear that. Neutral not sure as you have stated that it couldnt be intake related as there is not external damage.hmmm?
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 6:32 am

damn, watched the video, thats a weird one, i hope it recovers...
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 11:48 am

So I posted this on another site too and a really experienced reefer posted this:

i have had several of my yellow coris wrasse do that also. generally it was after i just got them. never could figure it out, but they seemed fine after a few days to a week or so.

I find that very interesting. Might be a 'thing' with coris wrasses? I am going to have to look more into this... and I'll keep an eye on him and keep feeding him and see if this clears up.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:09 pm

looks like we have another saltwater mystery on our hands scoob.that wrasse had been in captivity for a little while and had never shown any negative signs.i hope there is an explenation but i suppose as long as he is good thats what really matters.
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptyFri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 pm

haha another mystery indeed! I googled coris wrasse bruise and found several other people talking about the exact same issue- wtf?! That's totally crazy. I really want to find out more about this. I hope it is simply a mechanism of their body that is normal. With other people reporting the same thing it seems this is just something they might go through in certain situations. Weird. I'll be looking into it more. Hopefully he makes it!
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

could it be like a color change from stress?
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 9:08 am

I vote viral. A lot of times these "breakouts" can be linked to a virus. Many of them are species specific. I know for a fact many wild caught banggais have an iriodoviris that can break out after and induction event (stress). Some live, some dont. No known cure. Make them as happy as possible and wait. Most are not communicable
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? EmptySat Dec 24, 2011 1:05 pm

well thats to bad that its not diagnosable and is one of those just wait and see games with livestock. Razz hope this clears up.by the way did you get a second opinion from the other day?i was kinda wondering.i thought that he might say something right along these lines as the virus in this hobby are quite often untreatable and hard to diagnose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?   canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding? Empty

Back to top Go down

canary wrasse showing big bruise/bleeding?
Page 1 of 1