Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

my new addition

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: my new addition   my new addition EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 pm

well got myself a matted file fish to hopefully take care of an aiptasia problem in my front tank...

the pic aint mine, but my camera sucks.
my new addition AiptasiaEatingFilefish

as he was acclimating...
my new addition Photo0212

a small piece of the problem...
my new addition Photo0213
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 10:02 pm

Shocked i cant wait to see the damage he can do.and if it all work out i would love to rent him as i have a couple tanks that i cannot have peppermints in due to hawk fish.gotta love the hawkfish.oh and sweet fish man the file fish are an interesting type.dont let him get caught in a net as there dorsal spine is good at that.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 pm

actually he has been waving that spine at the guppies in the tank to its right, he seems pretty angry at them for whatever reason, the talbot seems fearful of him and the watchman is always hiding anyways...
id be happy to lend him out as soon as he fixes my little problem, but he really is a cool fish, im happy with him.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 6:17 am

Those fish are awesome! I have kept several of them for Aptasia control, they do an incredible job. I have kept them with just about every coral out there. A word of warning, they will eat xeniids (xenia, anthelia, etc.) as well as nip at sarcophyton polyps, I have never seen them go after any other corals or inverts. As A side note, they have been bred in captivity. I have been fortunate enough to have had two pairs in various tanks, though have not spawned them yet. Males are differentiated from females by more Cirrhi (raised scales that look hair like in nature) on their caudel peduncle. good luck!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptySun Jan 08, 2012 2:28 pm

i am very much on the fence on buying one of these guys as i have seen one go after some cloves and i have talked with a couple peoples that said they had a little trouble with theirs but i do believe next time there is one in the local pet shop and i have the money i will be grabbing one.the peppermints havent had the longest life spans with me lately or maybe i have become a less hospitable caretaker so i need a more economical long term solution.either way i need some natural aptasia control that can be bounced between a couple tanks.thanks for the info as i have seen the "hairs" on the dorsal fin you have mentioned so it must be relativly easy to tell when they are side by side.
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 4:55 am

yes real obvious to tell sexual difference side by side. The main issue with them is when they are freshly imported. They come from sea grass beds, outside of most standard collection zones so they probably have a bit rougher time from the point of collection to being shipped out. Live foods are a great way to get them to start eating, enirched brine, live clam, even sacrificing a xeniid works well. Although, if you have aptasia, thas a perfect live food to get them started.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:44 am

he has been doing pretty well, he has even eaten some enriched brine shrimps i regularly feed the tank, he has also been eyeing aptasia in the tank and picking at some, so im happy, havent seen him targeting any of my frags yet, but im keeping an eye out for any signs (im pretty sure my galaxia frag has done more damage to my frags than he will, lol). i did water change yesterday and was pleased that he has no fear whatsoever of me, the siphon or seemingly anything, he just goes about his business, ignoring me, i love it...
my new addition Photo0215
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 am

damn that aptasia looks like it may eat him, i assure its just the angle, lol...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 am

thats sweet that he is already eating and getting acustom to the tank so soon.maybe you could use the calkwasser on the aptasia until he starts to realy go for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my new addition Empty
PostSubject: Re: my new addition   my new addition Empty

Back to top Go down

my new addition
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Saltwater :: Salt Water Fish-
Jump to: