Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Empty
PostSubject: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:34 am

so with the help of a friend...bored808 i have made the step up to having RO water wich i have gotten away with not using for 6 years or more.i am going to mount it to the back of my house and have the reseviour be a 55 gallon plastic drum.first things first the ghetto mount.some screws in the wall and a cystom bungee DI canister holder. Razz
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly 4-22-s12[/img]
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 am

im just not "big time" enough to get an RO imo...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:45 am

well if you ever want some water you know i will hook it up.you can just keep it in a bin or what not until you need to use it.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly 4-22-s14[/img]dollar store fix for the other canister.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly 4-22-s15[/img]
and here is the barrel we picked up.now i just have to get some more wood for the frame to the resivour.
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly 4-22-s16[/img]
one frame at a time.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly 4-22-s17[/img]
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:49 am

nice, i was wondering where the update was...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:50 am

i am also going to attemp to weather proof the RO unit and possibly drill a hole in the wall so during cold seasons i wont have to traverse outside for the water.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 1:54 am

i would not drill a hole in my house...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 2:04 am

i have done it once or twice.for fish tank purposes only. Razz
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:24 pm

here i am almost finished with then stand wich will elevate the drum for the spout i plan on putting in for ease of access.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni10[/img]
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni11[/img]the stupid little feet on it are there to hopefullly prevent it from sinking too far as i am just putting the stand on the ground.there is a high gravel to earth ratio so things should be fine.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyThu May 03, 2012 5:33 am

i wanna see the finished product...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:39 am

i am a paranoid person so i put some bleach in the barrel and filled it with water then covered it for a night to sterilize it.i now have to rinse it out and let it soak with regular water and some prime a couple times to remove the bleach.then i will be in buisness.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:24 am

so here i have drilled a hole in the bottom of the barrel just perfect size for the male threaded piece of PVC i will use to connec the ball valve to theinside union.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni12[/img]
here are the pieces i am using since i am unable to find a bulk head here and am too impatient to wait for the store to open.a ball valve, a threaded union,two O rings, and the connecting male thread.
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni13[/img]
after tightning the ball valve i got a tight enough seal with the O rings i didnt even need silicone.
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni14[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyWed May 09, 2012 1:28 am

then to make the input line fit snug and to help match the color Laughing i used an old gravel vac top.i hooked it up to my water hose manifold and let her rip. awww yeah done and done.[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni15[/img]
i suppose i still have to put up the trelice for the rasperries to grow up around the stand.
[img]Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Ro_uni16[/img]
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:31 am

A few free pieces of advice about outside ro units.

1) theft: i know you feel secure but of word spreads you have it outside, someone might come looking.

2) extreme temps: freezing is bad for all the cartridges. Warm water is also bad. It expands the pores in all the membranes, allowing more pollutants through.

3) algae: clear canisiters grow algae, the algae breaks free and clogs the next passing membrane (falls out of sediment cainster and clogs carbon etc). Black canisters heat up more and faster (see temp extremes)

I would recommend covering it. It would be easy to cover it with a wooden box on hinges that opens with a padlock. This should help all issues, theft, sunlight, and throw some insulation in there for temps, done deal.

I just wanted to warn you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyWed May 09, 2012 11:49 am

i was actualy considering all the things you just mentioned aside from knowing about the algae clogging.thanks for the heads up.my ida was going to be appropriately ghetto as i was going to hinge a bin to my house with either home insulation strips or cutout some styrofoam for the insulation.oh and warm water expanding was also not soething i thought about.so now i will have to minimize the hose length and flush before a barrel fill on a hot day.sometimes the residual water in the hose can get way hot on the sunny side of my house.the unit is shielded from direct sun but not the hose.another project Mad
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyFri May 11, 2012 12:03 am

oh, you live for projects and you know it...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:58 am

i know right as i still need to get the trelice around the stand. Laughing you can come by and give me a hand if you want to. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 2:11 am

so on a differnt note since i have been using RO on a few of my tanks i have had a decline in alkalinity and calcium to the point of some coral degredation Sad . so i am now in the process of doing the old calcium chloride and soda ash combo.should be cheaper than buying all these buffers.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 2:39 am

did i also mention with so many tanks using RO water has started to really raise the water bill. i might need to prioritize.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly   Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly Empty

Back to top Go down

Got a Reverse Osmosis unit finaly
Page 1 of 1