Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

seahorse tank

Go down 
+2
InvertsRock
shutterfish
6 posters
AuthorMessage
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:46 pm

hey everyone... its been a while since i have been over here. I have not been on the computer much... way too much going on with my many tanks and changes to write about Smile But i wanted to share pictures of my seahorse tank. Right now this is all just stuff crammed into a 20G tank. Half of it are leftovers from other setups, and half I bought recently, like that cool little clam (pay no attention to the aiptasia on it). Anyway, I got this golden seahorse a month or two ago and it is a really awesome fish.. or whatever they are. If you know what sex it is my the pics please let me know because I would love to get a mate for this cute gal or fella...

seahorse tank DSC_0031-1

seahorse tank DSC_0028-1

seahorse tank DSC_0039-4

seahorse tank DSC_0040-1

seahorse tank DSC_0049-1

seahorse tank DSC_0042-2
Back to top Go down
InvertsRock

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:26 am

How incredible!! Did you get it semi-locally?? Don't seahorses need lots of vegetation? I am so jealous!

Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:32 am

yep I got it in albany at all for fish. I guess there were three and someone got the pair and i got the leftover... but he or she is beautiful! And I would love to find another for it. I did have more macro algae in there earlier today... then I got rid of some while aquascaping but I will get a little more and there's stuff in there that will grow. This particular one is a super good feeder. he eats a ton. So he doesnt need too many copepods but he does hunt those for supplemental feeding. If anyone knows anything else specific to seahorses I should know about please let me know! I'm all ears...
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 12:55 am

Been awhile man, i thought you were lost at sea! Looks like a female, i dont see a pouch in the pics. Feeding it mysis? O recommend hikari. Maybe a little spirulina brine in there too. Looks like a healthy one. Ill keep my eye out for a male. Do you know the species? I am guessing Hippocampus kuda, maybe erectus?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:03 am

yeah it HAS been a while... i have been swamped with stuff, including a 92 gallon bowfront tank I'll post pics of soon. It is awesome Smile All the stuff in my 75 i got from you is growing like craaaaazy... its like, visible growth week by week. I love it.

I'll try to find out more about which kind it was exactly. I'm headed to albany tomorrow to pick up a school of chromis and hopefully a naso tang... for my 92. I'd love to find a mate for that seahorse. I seem to remember something about tiger, golden, dx... those are the only things that come to mind and those might not all be right... I have been feeding mysis and spirulina brine shrimp, and some regular brine as well. This gal (if it is a female indeed,...) eats heavily. She is an active hunter amongst the macro algae and when it is feeding time she chases the food down and sucks down whatever she can get. I'll get more info for ya and we'll see if we can find her a mate. Do they pair up with *any* male or can they be selective?
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:10 am

They are usually pretty easy to pair up. Pretty easy to breed also. Nasos are my favorite fish! Just nake sure it is eating. Some can actually be quite picky and drop weight fast. Others are vacuums. I am getting more and more coral stock, i will keep you posted, sounds like our systems like each other haha
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:14 am

sweet, sounds good. Yeah the 75G tank is the perfect growing setup for whatever reason. Corals just like to grown in there. I will certainly be looking for more coral in the coming months... thanks for the tips on the naso. If they did get it it came in on saturday so i will see how it looks tomorrow. I am excited about it- it will match up with my sailfin. bert recommended it and randomly when i was at AFF they said they had one ordered up so i figured i'll check it out... and i thought a school of fish might be neat now that i have the room for one.

Last edited by shutterfish on Mon May 21, 2012 1:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:15 am

Also, what is that in the first two full tank shot pics in the lower left corner, bright orange like a hand? Is it alive? What is it? Looks unique
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:16 am

I also highly recommend the blue bar gobies (Ptereoleotris zebra) for schoolers. They make a very cool display
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:19 am

its an orange sponge i saw, also at all for fish, a couple weeks ago. He looked almost like he was ashamed to sell it to me because he didnt think it was cool enough but i love it! He has a purple sponge on order that is supposed to be more fan-like that my seahorse should enjoy clinging on to. I hope it came in and they remembered to hold that for me too... I want cool unique things in this tank since I cant have fish since they steal the food. I may get a pipe fish... but i have the clam in there, fan worms, sponges... I'm not sure what else there is but I am sure I could fill this thing with unique items not commnly found in a reef tank...
Back to top Go down
shutterfish

shutterfish

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 1:22 am

would a school of blue bars be to much if I have: 1 5" sailfin, 1 naso (not sure how big), 2 big clarkii clowns, one little 6 line, 1 little bicolor blenny, 1 blue spot goby... and i think I am getting 8 blue/green chromis... in a 92 with a 10 gal sumo that i hope to increase to 20 possibly more if i can figure out a space issue...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyMon May 21, 2012 2:04 am

wow that thing looks stocked up for being up for as little time it has been.looking good.you gotta get a mate for that seahorse. you know it has to be done.Smile .i would add the chromis first and see where you sit with your chemistry.it could work out if things your system is chugging along well and you are up for feeding the dart fish frequently.i do like anthias and you got some room now.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyTue May 22, 2012 2:24 am

i love me some sponges and that is a pretty seahorse mare...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:00 pm

sponges and gargonians are sweet non aggresive animals i think would look great in a seahorse tank.unfortunatly many are rather specialized animals as well.good thing most are fragment propagated so you dont have to bet the farm so to speak.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyTue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I agree with badx about the bluedarts...just stick with what you have and test...if you are testing (which you should be), and levels stay where they should be, then you are probably ok to add more fish. Luckily these blue bar gobies mix in well with established crowds (as long as THEY arent being harrassed). Unlike normal dart fish, these dont seem to be so demanding when it comes to food, mine get once a day, and I miss a day here and there too, and they display spawning behavior frequently.

Also, seahorses are available! captive bred, kuda and erectus. One was about double the other in price, cant remember which right now. Try and get one with cirri, the little hair like projections. They are a little more expensive, but are pretty stunning, and would be great broodstock.
Back to top Go down
BuckNasty

BuckNasty

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank EmptyWed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Dang man! that tank looks goood.Probably one of the best seahorse tanks i have seen.its so full of coral and nice rock.what are the tnaks mates going to be? just seahorses and a goby?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

seahorse tank Empty
PostSubject: Re: seahorse tank   seahorse tank Empty

Back to top Go down

seahorse tank
Page 1 of 1