Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Looking for a hand Monday

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
burningbaal

Looking for a hand Monday Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 24, 2012 12:27 pm

Hello to all of you nearby (I'm in corvallis).

I'm hoping to get enough yardwork done this friday-Sunday that I can make monday focussed on my new 90g setup. The main need (that's left) is to make sure the overflow and drain plumbing is all water-tight. I did a little check a while ago and I was getting some leakage, not sure why. I'm taping up all the threaded fittings and i tightened the bulkheads some more, hopefully that will fix it. then I need to do 'the move'

So I'm mostly looking for someone to help me get the plumbing up to snuff, and maybe some hands to help with the move and aquascaping. There's probably a beer or two in it for anyone who helps out. I've also got some 5600K T5 bulbs with almost no use if you're looking to light a fuge or planted fresh tank.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 24, 2012 1:24 pm

mvpaquatics wrote:

I guess i'm not that good at reading between the lines...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 24, 2012 7:54 pm

what time on monday? i might be able to lend a hand but might not be able to stay too long.i have a few things on my agenda monday but if the timing is right i can help lift and throw in my two cents.
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyFri May 25, 2012 2:56 am

I am free pretty much all of Monday and more than willing to help out with a trade of help in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyFri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm

thanks guys!

I'll try to keep this posted, or pm me a phone number if you prefer. I'm actually going to try to firm up the plumbing in the next two days (when it's dark or rainy outside), and even if I can't, I'll just plan to fill the 90g to just below the overflow level and run it without the sump until I sort it out.

so: I'm thinking I'll start the move mid-to-late morning on monday, say 10 or 11? I'm up by albertsons/winco, email or pm for the address. assuming we get hungry, I'll pick up some little ceasars $5 pizzas for some food and probably pick up a couple choice beverages to share. email is m c k i n l e y k j (at) gee-male (disguised enough?)

Here's my plan:

1. put about 10 gallons of NSW in a 25g tub (or two), and about 2g in a couple 5g buckets. drain tank water to nearly-fill the tub(s), move the rock into tubs as the water drains, 100w heater here. if tubs get too full, drain extra into buckets.
2. move inverts (corals, shrimp, snails, crabs, etc) into one bucket with 50w heater, net the fish into one or two buckets. (***help here, I don't know what to do about the goby/pistol pair***)
3. comb my hands through the sand to pull the nass snails, SS star and whatever else out, move to buckets/tub/wherever
4. siphon and scoop sand into a bucket or tub, stir it up a few times to minimize detritus carry-over (it's a 4" ish deep bed about 1yr old).
5. set up some new rocks for my new scape in the 90g on the glass bottom, or maybe use a PVC structure for this.
6. pour sand into the 90g, goal is 1-1.5" deep, keep extra sand for fuge to grow turtle grass/etc in
7. put a plate or two on the sandbed to break the falling water, start pouring in water and moving rock in
8. once the scape is semi-settled, move the inverts in, then the fish
9. either put the skimmer HOB on the 90 or in the sump, depending on the overflow status
10. enjoy

again, I could use some advice for moving the goby and pistol (and any other places my plan is lacking/sucking). I just got 100 DB hermits that are with about 50lbs of cured rock in the sump, so CUC should be ok, and should have plenty of rock. I plan on using the rock in the sump as part of the scape (no rock left in sump at the end).

I'm thinking I want 2-3 'towers' of rock, a big one, reaching within about 4 inches of the surface on the far left, one a little smaller on the far right and possibly a small on front/center (slightly right?). Then I want a bridge/cave thing or two between these towers.
Back to top Go down
BuckNasty

BuckNasty

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptySat May 26, 2012 10:56 pm

sounds pretty solid to me.early is good.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptySun May 27, 2012 2:32 am

the goby wont be to hard but the pistol shrimp will be a PAIN!!!.
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyMon May 28, 2012 2:44 am

Well, not enough yard work and it has to be ready for bark dust Saturday. I'm going to have to delay until this coming Saturday. Any takers for then?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyMon May 28, 2012 3:18 am

oh man...i was under the asumption that it was tommorow. Neutral i told a friend i couldnt give him a hand in the morning.i also have a long shift saturday starting 9:30going to 7:30ish so i dont think i can make it on a saturday.sorry man.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyMon May 28, 2012 8:09 am

LOL!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyTue May 29, 2012 12:14 pm

I do feel pretty bad for getting commitments to help and cancelling...kind of a jerk move on my part. I didn't have much of a choice with bark dust getting blown in this thursday. We had to get the ground cleared so there's somewhere for the bark to go. My wife and I spent 7 hours in the yard yesterday and filled 8 yard waste bins. kind of epic, really.

I'm bummed that the tank didn't get moved, though. I will probably try to power through it saturday--help or no help. I'm asking for my wife to totally let me have that day with no questions asked. she wants it done too, so I think we'll be 'a go'. I'll take lots of pics to post.

I got the pistol from an ill-maintained 10g nano and he accidentally came over with a rock (I combed the sand pretty carefully). I may just 'dump' the sand over to the new tank and assume he's in it.
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyWed May 30, 2012 1:56 am

I am available Saturday morning but have Daughtry concert that night, a friend and I can help out until around 2pm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:18 am

as long as the shrimp isnt too burried he will be alright.these guys are reasonably adept at dealing with cave ins.
Back to top Go down
burningbaal

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday EmptyThu May 31, 2012 2:16 am

Glad to hear, I'm planning on the new tank's sand bed being less than two inches, so I think he'll probably do OK...just a question of the goby finding him and where they set up shop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a hand Monday   Looking for a hand Monday Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a hand Monday
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Community :: Community Discussions-
Jump to: