Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The King Of Hermit Crabs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hamstern

Hamstern

The King Of Hermit Crabs Empty
PostSubject: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 12:16 am

I think Hermit crabs are awesome. They will rule the world (Or at least my 20 gal lol). But there is one hermit crab I've always wanted- the King of hermit Crabs, the destroyer, the awesome Dardanus. I want to know exactly how to care for these guys. I have had my eye on Dardanus Magistos and Dardanus Pendunculatus. I understand that Magistos grow up to 8in in size and are not very friendly towards other life. Pendunculatus seem very interesting due to the fact they keep Anemes on their back. Too bad they can't have clowns teaming up with them Laughing. But does anyone know how to care for The King Of Hermit Crabs? afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 1:57 am

http://www.freshmarine.com/hermit-assort-crab.html

One of the better descriptions I found.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 2:59 am

ahh the dardanus family.i remember mine eating everything in sight.i eventualy had to quarantine him to my 40 gallon sump where he became a cleaning machine for new pest ridden live rock.he would scour the rock for life even the aptasia was dismantled and eaten.one of the difficulties i found at the time was finding shells for the guys.they need a special larger shell for there long bodies.as far as care they are pretty easy.good water and a variety of food and youare good to go.they are not picky about there meals as they are opportunistic omnivors.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Well thanks for the advice. But is there any coral or life that Dardanus will not tear apart?
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 12:31 am

Maybe an anemone, sometimes they live symbiotically with them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 10:36 pm

as long as he cant get to it or catch it then it should be fine.i have seen damsels and a maroon clown with one once.i have read about other tank mates but i would exercise caution with housing other lifeforms as you know.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs EmptyWed Nov 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Ah...well thanks for the advice! What is the ideal tank size for one though?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The King Of Hermit Crabs   The King Of Hermit Crabs Empty

Back to top Go down

The King Of Hermit Crabs
Page 1 of 1