Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

swordtails

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

swordtails Empty
PostSubject: swordtails   swordtails EmptySat Nov 17, 2012 2:44 pm

I am interested in collecting different types of swordtails right now.Here is a picture of some of my favorites.I believe the male is a pure bred "sunset" .The blue female is a highfin, I obtained from the animal house.
[img]swordtails Kelmin13[/img]
Some of the other females may be platies.Is there a way to tell females platies apart from females swords?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

swordtails Empty
PostSubject: Re: swordtails   swordtails EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 pm

generaly speaking the swords have a larger body size and a more of a slender look but all in all they are so similar it is rather difficult to tell for the untrained eye.to add to this confusion i must say that there are a huge number of platy swordtail hybrids wich are readily sold as either one, particularly the females ,wich as you know are hard to distinguish in a mixed tank.this leads me to recomend to people that you keep these fish seperate ,even though they occur in nature in the same regions waters, if you want to keep a strain of one or the other.much like endlers live bearers and guppies at first it may seem like a good idea to get a few nice looking hybrids but in the end you are left with alot of not so desireables wich make it back into the hobby and then the diluted strain continues its cycle.once in a while this is good, but on the original subject ,distinguishing the two types of fishes in the same tank may be difficult without a little experience seeing the two fishes side by side a few times.if you can ask the Local Fish Store to destinguish the two before you have the nack for identifying for yourself.i cant speak for all pet stores but i can say that a couple of our local pet store in the near surrounding areas do keep hybrids umong there fishes due to the peoples who choose to cross the two and then sell/return the prodigy that they no longer want/need.
Back to top Go down

swordtails
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Fresh Water :: Fresh Water Fish-
Jump to: