Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ich? or something else

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jroy2010

Ich? or something else Empty
PostSubject: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 11:59 pm

So this problem originated somewhere around two weeks ago. First one of my plecostomaus' died overnight, then I noticed the other one had some white spots on him. After quarantining him, I started noticing it on my other fish, starting with my Red Tail Shark. Out of my six fish the spots have only occurred on my pleco, Red Tail, and my two Rams. No traces of the spots have showed up on my Gourami or Goby.

The weird thing is, usually when your fish have ich they act strange, and don't really eat. All of my fish have been acting completely normal, and no changes in their eating habits have been noticed.

For the first week I tried treating it with a natural chemical called Kordon "Ich Away". This did absolutely nothing and it got much worse, specifically on my RTS. When it looked like I was going to lose the RTS I started dosing with Copper Sulfate (one week ago). It still seemingly did nothing. I started noticing that some of the ends of their fins were disappearing, so I started putting PIMAFIX in, thinking maybe it's actually a fungus. This has seemingly helped my Rams and Pleco (it's non-existent on my pleco or German Blue Ram), however my RTS has gotten worse. I'm not really sure what to do. His fins are getting pretty bad.

Any ideas? study
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 2:59 am

One of the first things most people ask is what are your water parameters?This can be done a any Local Fish Store for free just bring in some water in a clean food safe container,bottle,baggy.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:11 am

OK it sounds like a couple things are going on here but let me address one first.It is very plausable that all your fish still have ich if you never had a complete effective treatment.I know for a fact many a tank can have ich dormant for some time,months even,without having any visible effect until the fishes immune system breaks down and then things get really bad.so basicly I would recomend an aquarium salt treatment in conjunction with what I like to use Quik Cure,wich is a formalin malachite green medication.Since you have catfish,loaches and or tetras you have to half dose these things and you must remember to remove your carbon as that will remove all your medications.use the above treatments for at least 5 days but not more than a week with a couple of water changes in between to keep the water chemistry good.and dont forget to always be retreating the amount of water you return to the aquarium.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:20 am

Also you say that the fins of some of your fishes are not looking so well.Do you have any pictures?If it is fin rot I would look into getting your water in pristine condition and use the salt treament I recomended above.usualy its one table spoon per 10 gallons but in your case I would half dose it due to your inhabitants.Then use an atifungal agent to finish the job once again with inbetween water changes to keep the water good and no carbon for the 5-7 days of treatment.OH and another thing is copper is more intense treatment that I usualy dont recomend as a first option.
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 3:46 am

My shark has it worst, and he is always hiding so I will have to wait till he comes out. I have been doing salt in conjunction with all aforementioned chemicals. I have been doing frequent water changes. about 5 gallons every 2-3 days, and redosing. I will definitely try picking up some quick cure and trying it out. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the spots, for the most part, are only appearing on the fins.

Will try to take some pics for you
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 am

[img]Ich? or something else 2013-010[/img]
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:08 am

[img]Ich? or something else 2013-011[/img]
Back to top Go down
Jroy2010

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 4:09 am

[img]Ich? or something else 2013-012[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 am

now I see from the pics there are white spots on the fins but its really hard to tell if the red tail has any on his body?And the rams color makes it difficult to see the body as well.I would still go the route I have layed out.Do a good water change before medication make sure the chemistry is good.If you are in alot of doubt you can always call the animal house and see if dale is in and can take a look at the fishes scale/slime coat and tell you if its ich,fungus,oodinium, or a combo.I am thinking its ich and fin rot. but without a better look its hard to be sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ich? or something else   Ich? or something else Empty

Back to top Go down

Ich? or something else
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Fresh Water :: Fresh Water Diseases and Disorders-
Jump to: