Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

mysaltwaterfishstore

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

mysaltwaterfishstore Empty
PostSubject: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptyThu May 16, 2013 7:51 pm

so today when i was researching what type of sea horses to get a and were to buy them i stubled across a website called mysaltwaterfishstore.com and they have really cheap prices and good deals so i was wondering if any one has ever ordered off of them and how the service was. they have a deal on there of 3 pairs of sea horses for 35 bucks and 2 day shipping is 20 bucks. and im really thinking about buying them
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptyThu May 16, 2013 8:30 pm

I personaly have not ordered from them but they have had good reviews.As far as the seahorses you are looking at they are probably the tiny and harder to keep dwarf species.Remeber that all seahorses are finicky feeders,well these ones have to eat the smallest crustaceans you can get.Usualy the only available food is baby brine shrimps.Research a little on the dwarf types and about getting them there foods.Feeding everyday with live brine shrimp and hatching new ones out twice a week can become tedious,thats why you never see dwarfs in peoples aquariums.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptyThu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm

ok i still might try and keep them. i would really like to get the larger species becuase i could go get them at the premium aquarium but there about 130 bucks and its hard to get especialy for 2 to try and breed even though if the breeding was succefull it would make me quite abit if i sold all the babys
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:30 am

Read a lot before you make a purchase or it may end up being frustrating as this hobby requires patience and knowledge.

here is something from seahorse.org
Feeding
Dwarf seahorses will generally require daily feedings of live food. More often than not this is accomplished with newly hatched baby brine shrimp. The author also recommends feeding 2 day old brine shrimp enriched with various enrichments to keep them at their best health. Nutrition is a big concern with dwarves, and simply feeding them newly hatched BBS daily does not appear to be enough for them. That is why we recommend older enriched brine at least twice daily. Ideally, copepods would be the best food for them but the huge quantity of copepods required is very difficult for the average hobbyist to supply. Consequently, most hobbyists use live brine. Decapsulating and hatching brine shrimp cysts is not a very complicated process. With practice, this becomes a simple daily task. The decapping process is very important, as hydroids are known to survive on the shells of brine eggs and can suddenly appear in your dwarf tank. Hydroids are very dangerous to your dwarves and you will want to take any and all necessary measures to keep them out of your tank. Decapsulating your brine cysts will help to keep hydroids from infesting your system. Dwarf seahorses will appreciate being fed twice each day, three times if your schedule allows it. Feed them enough brine that the tank seems to be experiencing something like a moderate "snow shower". Try to avoid overfeeding. Adjust the amount of baby brine shrimp you put in at each feeding until you find the amount that they will finish in about 4 hours. If there is leftover brine at the next feeding always adjust accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptySat May 18, 2013 12:59 am

Oh seahorses...they do certainly look cool....but I have never thought about caring for them. Now Badxgillen has already elaborated on feeding, but I do know most sea horses are quite fragile. Any other fish or even invertebrate may hunt those seahorses down....also many corals such as brain coral, amplexadiscus and anenomes. Not to mention sea horses are quite sensitive to their surroundings and require something to perch on. So to sum this up you will need highly specialized food and a specialized tank.
Here is yet another link from seahorse.org if you have not read it already-
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/artemiaGuide.shtml
If you do still plan on taking care of seahorses I would reconmend you do extensive and large amounts of research. I would also try talking to others who may of raised or attempted to raise seahorses before.

afro afro afro afro
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore EmptyTue Jun 04, 2013 1:24 am

for what its worth, I have purchased from them before, and they are a reliable company...as far as the seahorses go I cannot comment, probably better to start off with tank raised individuals that are hardier and feeding on non living foods. It will be more expensive but much higher chance of them thriving
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: mysaltwaterfishstore   mysaltwaterfishstore Empty

Back to top Go down

mysaltwaterfishstore
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Saltwater :: Salt Water Fish-
Jump to: