Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

sick oscar

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: sick oscar   sick oscar EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 am

Today I went in to animal house and bought a chiclad pike and a albino oscar and when I was watching the oscar I noticed it wasn't doing good and had a white film on its sides so I put it in a quarantine tank. And I went a looked for something to cure and find out what it was and I found a bottle of quick cure and on the back it described what my oscar had and I think it's protozoan parasites has any one else had this issue
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick oscar   sick oscar EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 am

If you have any pictures they can help.As far as slime on the fish it may be in relation to a parasite but not always. I have used quick cure for some time without any ill effects as long as using the directed amounts,I even use it in half dose as a preventative treatment on new arrivals. So on that note it will not hurt to half dose the QT tank with the quick cure as well as add some aquarium salt to aid in fighting the parasite\infection.Keep the water clean with appropriate water changes and he should get better provided it is a parasite the product targets. If in doubt you may want to ask the pet store about the condition of the fish,I know dale can do slime coat analysis under a microscope if things get bad and you need to know whats going on.Good thing you have a Quarantine tank,makes life easier.You may want to half dose the pike cichlid as well.What kind of pike cichlid did you get?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick oscar   sick oscar EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 3:40 am

I'm not sure on the type I asked and they said its called a pike chiclad so that's all I know I will post a picture of both fish tommorow the pike has a black stripe running down his side if that helps.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick oscar   sick oscar EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 2:21 am

So my oscar seems more lively than yesterday he is no longer just lying on the bottom of the tank. I also found the species of my pike it's a belly crawler pike and put a couple feeder guppies in his tank and he sucked them up it was awesome so know I'm starting a guppie tank is there a species of guppie that breeds faster than others.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick oscar   sick oscar EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 am

Guppies are all prolific breeders but the variety should not be a sensitive one so preferabley not as long fins,although this is not mandatory the larger fins are simply more prone to infections if the water quality is bellow standards.I like to just get feeders guppies and treat them with quick cure and salt for a week to make sure they dont transport any nasties into the main tank.to this bach you can add a pair or two of fancy guppies to liven up the stock and increase the bloodline.In the guppy tank you will want lots of fake plants or real to help the fry survive.that or utilize a breeding box or two and really farm the guppies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

sick oscar Empty
PostSubject: Re: sick oscar   sick oscar Empty

Back to top Go down

sick oscar
Page 1 of 1