Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pleasant Pectina

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 7:21 pm

A thread for the often overlooked pectina.In my experience experience they are easy to keep and tolerate low light conditions.Here's a mature specimen from MVP Aquatics:

Pleasant Pectina <a href=Pleasant Pectina Dscf5157" />

A fragment of a purple variety:
Pleasant Pectina <a href=Pleasant Pectina Dscf8120" />

Bert's Alien Eye pectina:
Pleasant Pectina <a href=Pleasant Pectina Dscf8217" />
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Your right , when I go out to the shops or look online I do not actively seek pectinia specimens but I have seen a few good looking ones and those are pretty nice right there. From my experience they are actually not the easiest as they hate conditions that are really favorable to many others ,namely SPS. I must also state that I am no coral keeping master by any means.
Great pictures by the way.
Back to top Go down
https://bertshouse.forumotion.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Just wait until you see the kryptonight pectinia I got from ASD, It is a looker alright.I will say as far as care goes they certainly do not like too much flow or too much light but asides that they seem to be easy going to me. Definitely an odd ball.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 12:31 am

Admin wrote:
Your right , when I go out to the shops or look online I do not actively seek pectinia specimens but I have seen a few good looking ones and those are pretty nice right there. From my experience they are actually not the easiest as they hate conditions that are really favorable to many others ,namely SPS. I must also state that I am no coral keeping master by any means.
Great pictures by the way.
Thank you! Here's some closeups of the larger piece:
Pleasant Pectina <a href=Pleasant Pectina Dscf9110" />

[img]Pleasant Pectina Dscf9111[/img]
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 11:49 am

I think these close ups are great at showing how amazing these corals are. No other like it,its growth structure is also highly influenced by the flow. I have what I believe the same variety that was in high flow and it has some long skeletal growths while I have seen some that seems to mound on themselves while sitting in stagnant waters. This one gets fluorescence under actinics a green color right?They also have really large sweeper tentacles,not just long but fat. I bet they can consume rather large prey items as the tips surface area for the nematocysts is quite large.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Yes this variety has a nice green color under actinics.It is not that often I see the thick tentacles out,but when they do they are mean.I believe this piece is responsible for the death of a mandrin goby.Generally speaking they are considered not aggressive corals,provided nothing touches them.I am playing with matches here,I rely on the sweepers infrequent appearances.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 12:05 am

If one of my corals had taken down a fish of mine I may have different reactions. Depending on the coral I would either exile it from my tank or commend the coral for the respect it deserves...I for one always forget about that distance that needs to be kept between coral. Between them growing and my acquiring more it seems it is a losing battle sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pleasant Pectina Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pleasant Pectina   Pleasant Pectina Empty

Back to top Go down

Pleasant Pectina
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Berts House :: Saltwater :: Coral-
Jump to: