Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Water conditioners for frogs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

Water conditioners for frogs Empty
PostSubject: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 12:58 am

In your experience what is the best water conditioner for use with frogs? I usually use sodium thiosulfate. I am concerned because I don't know anything about this chemical.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 1:29 am

I have always liked prime as it boasts the most triatary benefits compared to other brands but I know many people who use aquarium stress coat with no ill effects. I also use the sodium thiosulfate and as far as I can tell the reptiles and amphibians I own arr fine with it as well.
As far as the chemical goes I know it has an oxidizing effect with certain molecules such as iodine and bromine and I presume it is the same reaction that depletes th chlorine and chloramine. From my understanding the by product is a slight amount of sulfate left over wich is harmless.
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 8:40 am

Thank you Badxgillen.I am still in search of the perfect water conditioner for the frogs.According to this article some bottled spring water may be beneficial
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/toad/fl/Water-for-Toads.htm?utm_source=exp_nl&utm_medium=email&utm_term=list_exoticpets&utm_campaign=list_exoticpets&utm_content=20150601
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 am

remember that even spring water may have a high devolved solid content within and so I suggest still using filtered water for misting so you can avoid the hard water deposits on your glass.I guess the point of having the spring water may be to include some mineral. You may just also catch some rain for usage but I presume that it is slightly acidic and may not contain as much solids, now I am thinking too much, makes me want to test some rain water and some spring water for comparison.
Back to top Go down
AbranV

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 1:30 pm

I've been using Reptisafe for years with issues. I use it for my aquatic frogs, chorus frogs, a pacman, and will have darts soon. It may not be the BEST, but it has proven to work well for me
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 6:18 pm

i Used Reptisafe when I had a bottle but now I try and kill two birds with one stone and snag a good all round water conditioner for my aquatic tanks and my amphibian\reptiles. I must admit that I almost always use Sodium Thiosulfate or Prime for my go to water prep. The original question about what is the "Best" conditioner for amphibians is something I am still pondering. I am pretty sure it comes down to the old saying- There are many ways to skin a cat, I know at one point I used Reptisafe to make up a batch of water for a tank cleaning and no harm was done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water conditioners for frogs   Water conditioners for frogs Empty

Back to top Go down

Water conditioners for frogs
Page 1 of 1