Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
kireek

kireek

Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing Empty
PostSubject: Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing   Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 pm

According to the book,Marine Invertebrates by Ronald L.Shimek PH.D. "Many abnormal and deleterious conditions may also result in polyp extension."* The author included these examples;

1.) Polyp extension with no sighs of new growth and tissue recession might indicate a lack of food.
2.) Polyp extension with no sighs of new growth and intact tissues may indicate a lack of calcium.

Are there other times when polyp extension is a bad sigh?

* MARINE INVERTEBRATES 500+ Essential-to-know Aquarium Species.By Ronald L. Shimek PH.D.
T.F.H. publications,Inc.©2004
One T.F.H. Plaza
Third and Union Avenues
Neptune City,NJ 07753

Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing   Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing EmptyMon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 pm

I can't personally think of another time that polyp extension would be a negative indicator.These seem to be the exceptions though as most of the time myself and others are looking for good polyp extension in most varieties aside from the smooth skins and even then to some extent there is expected to be a feeding response from time to time. There are a number of people who run Ultra Low Nutrient Systems out there particularly the Zeovit system and most of these people must feed heavy or dose nitrates in a different form. If I had some of the symptoms that were listed I would be looking into some other culprits before thinking about the lack of foods but I know my tanks are not like most peoples.
Back to top Go down

Acropora- When polyp extension is a bad thing
Page 1 of 1