Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Semi-aquatic crabs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
tbonewarrior

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:43 pm

I am wanting to do something like this http://www.konolua.com/RSS/Volcano_Tank/Volcano_Tank.html with a 60 gallon shallow frag tank. Does anyone know of any semi-aquatic crabs I could do this with and a source for them? I have been looking online for pachygrapsus crassipes online, but can't find anything.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:48 pm

okay thats pretty cool.
i think fiddler crabs or vampire crabs (i think)...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 10:35 pm

hmmm they have to be reef safe.this is a tough one as i am unfaliliar with simi aquatic crabs.lotsa submersed invert safe but very few available that are semi aquatic and wont cause problems.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:45 pm

yeah, i would almost think a barrier to keep the crabs separate might be needed, to isolate them maybe?
Back to top Go down
tbonewarrior

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:56 pm

I think it's really cool how they can go in and out of the water. I'll keep hunting for a source!
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:43 am

Pachygrapsus crassipes are really neat crabs especially when you can find color variations in the stripes. You may try looking for something from the Ocypode family. their are also color variations, they live mostly out of the water in wet sand but need the salt water to stay hydrated and bear young. Max size 6-8 cm and shouldnt bother coral since they like the sand above water.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:27 pm

nice those are the ones he is trying to find.any leads?
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptyTue Aug 02, 2011 5:25 am

Not sure if you would be interested but www.floridaherps.com sales some cool little crabs called Halloween land crabs (Gecarcinus quadratus) for $12.95

They are land crabs that need seawater to breed. They top out at about 2 inches across the carapace. Would look great in a set up like the picture you posted especially if you made the island all foresty.

[img]Semi-aquatic crabs Hallow10[/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs EmptyWed Aug 03, 2011 1:02 am

well at least those would be unlikely to molest the corals...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Semi-aquatic crabs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Semi-aquatic crabs   Semi-aquatic crabs Empty

Back to top Go down

Semi-aquatic crabs
Page 1 of 1