Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank

Go down 
+4
mvpaquatics
badxgillen
Eyeballer
Summit MicroFarm
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank   Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 1:18 am

i have had bristle noses in with my blue berry shrimp for a while but at some point when the plecos got bigger i started losing shrimps.i never caught the plecos eating the shrimp as they were alive but i did see one eating a dead one.i removed the ancistrus and my shrimps have been doing fine since.not sure if this is everyones experience.
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank   Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 am

NPTAloha,
Yes I am Orhunterfisher from AB. Thank you for the compliment. Smile
Unfortunately Badxgillen is absolutely correct. BN plecos (and prolly every other type as well) will most definitely eat your shrimp. I have been keeping some BN with some of my shrimp as an experiment in a few tanks for some time now. As I suspected and my observations have prooven, BN eat shrimp. Very few fish would turn their nose up at delicious morsel like a shrimp, much less a baby or juvy shrimp. I think a very similar idea for terrestrial animals would be reptiles like iguanas which are believed to be vegetarian, but put some meal worms in front of them and "whack" they are gone! Delicious morsels!
Here is the deal...In a heavily planted tank you could prolly get away with establishing a colony of shrimp and adding BN; you would lose some but may keep a viable colony. To do this and expect anything other than a "fun experiment" in creating ecosystem/biotope would be ignoring the inevitable. If you are interested in learning the shrimping deal I recommend setting up a simple 20 gal long, load it with wood and leaves...cycle it slowly and develope a well aged tank with tons of biofilm. Then add your shrimp and do a 20% water change weekly. That is first step in the recipe for success. Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank   Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks for the compliment Egbar! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank   Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Taiwan bee shrimp- My Taiwan bee tank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2