Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Closed Brain Coral

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:02 am

this brain coral has been in my care since it was a wee little frag and has recently been putting on mass.much more than it has before.being curious i decided after a water change that i would irritate it further and check out its underside since i never let this one grow into a rock.i must say interesting.[img]Closed Brain Coral Brain_11[/img]
a nice healthy Green.[img]Closed Brain Coral Brain_12[/img]
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:11 am

Time to go under the knife.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 am

i am torn between backing up one of my favorite corals or just letting it ride.it seems so happy right now but if it gets any bigger i dont know if i will be able to frag it.

Last edited by badxgillen on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
reefmadness

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 1:37 pm

It looks like a Platygyra. If so, that's a stunning color for one of those guys. I would check to see what the survival rate is for those brains. It is sooo healthy right now and I've heard they don't frag as well as some other corals.

In other words, I'd do a risk assessment.

Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 pm

even though i would love a frag of that bad boy, i would just let it ride, seems to be doing great as is, i would hate to see it go downhill in anyway...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 10:14 pm

it is a platygyra that i got years ago at the A.H..i remeber it was just a gumball back then.hmmm i will have to think about this one.i am sure i will once i get the confidence.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm

You could wait. Or you could nut up and do it now. Letting it ride is never an option. I guess ill stop fragging too Sad
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 2:15 am

does that mean you are fragging you diploastrea for me? Razz
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 6:50 pm

mvpaquatics wrote:
You could wait. Or you could nut up and do it now. Letting it ride is never an option. I guess ill stop fragging too Sad

you're only saying that cause you want a piece, i didnt say to stop fragging...
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 12:04 am

Let me know when you wanna cut that thing up and I'll bring over my wet saw. Platygyra, for me, have proven very forgiving to being cut up. Cutting them can actually lead to faster growth as they divert their energy to healing the damaged edges.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 2:31 am

badguitarist wrote:
Let me know when you wanna cut that thing up and I'll bring over my wet saw. Platygyra, for me, have proven very forgiving to being cut up. Cutting them can actually lead to faster growth as they divert their energy to healing the damaged edges.

Roberts got a killer legit coral band saw! The big leagues! Really helps to manuver around damaged tissue! Good point about accelerated growth. You can also use that to direct growth. If you want a coral to slow down growing in one idrection, frag it on the opposite. The healing will take the most energy. Strategic fragging
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 am

thats interesting...strategic fragging.and i am going to do some test cuts on something that has less value to me before i really go at the brain.but when i do i will be banking it with some good friends.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 3:50 am

mvpaquatics wrote:
badguitarist wrote:

Roberts got a killer legit coral band saw! The big leagues! Really helps to manuver around damaged tissue! Good point about accelerated growth. You can also use that to direct growth. If you want a coral to slow down growing in one idrection, frag it on the opposite. The healing will take the most energy. Strategic fragging

"strategic fragging", i like that...
Back to top Go down
badguitarist

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:14 am

Thats a good point Mike, similar to shading mushrooms or anemones to get them away from other corals. Robert I wanna come see this saw in action sometime, sounds awesome!
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 2:59 am

yeah......its a little cool. Cool you can give it a whirl next time your over.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:35 pm

i have to admit i was expecting a big saw, but its actually very manageable...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral EmptySun May 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Looks like once again most all the pictures were lost during the websites data loss. [img]Closed Brain Coral Dscf0910[/img]
I may look for some of the older pictures but for now this is all I got.
Some very hungry tentacles coming out for a feeding...Or an asault.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Closed Brain Coral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Closed Brain Coral   Closed Brain Coral Empty

Back to top Go down

Closed Brain Coral
Page 1 of 1