Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Floating Refugium / Plant Basket

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Reefman

Reefman

Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Empty
PostSubject: Floating Refugium / Plant Basket   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptyThu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

Well fellow Aquariast the prototype is working well so I built a more substantial unit out of proper materials.
First I constructed the bottom out of a piece of white 1/4" plexiglass I had laying around it measured 9"x15" so I cut 3" off two sides to end up with a bottom that measured 6"x12" then cut the 3" pieces in two to end up with 1-1/2" strips to use as the sides. After cutting and fitting the pieces I glued them to gether with super glue and aquarium safe silacone, here it is!
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0812
Then I purchased some egg crate and cut out two side pieces that measure 12"x11" and then cut two pieces that measure 7-1/4"x11" here they are.
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0813
Then I zip tied them together to form a box to go around the bottom.
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0814
Then I drilled holes in the bottom to incert zip ties through and zip tied the egg crate two the bottom. here it is.
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0815
Then I zip tied non toxic foam floats to the top of the unit and presto here is a floating plant basket with a bottom I can fill with live sand for securing the plant roots!!!
Here is the finished product.
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0816
Once I have it in the tank I will add a picture if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking. Reefman cheers
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium / Plant Basket   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 am

i am sure this is going to work out great.i presume you have an area that the floating refugium stays most of the time or does it just wander the waters surface collecting light?and have you had any copapod succes in the previous protoype?this would be cool for grape caulerpa so that the growth that extends past the fish barrier can be eaten by fish such as tangs and rabbit fish.
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

PostSubject: (RE) floating Refugium   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:35 am

Yes the Basket remains in one corner of the tank and doesn't shade anything that needs light. It is full of copapods, tiny star fish, and the mini feather dusters . Even my turbo astrea snails come and go in and out of it.
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

PostSubject: (Re) Floating Refugium   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 am

Your question got me to thinking. Even though the snails get in and out by crawling over the top I decided to cut holes in the sides big enough for them to get in and out but not the larger fish! This should make sure nothing gets traped and die.
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0817
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

PostSubject: In the Tank   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 1:44 pm

Here it is in the tank!
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0818
Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Dscf0819
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium / Plant Basket   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 1:54 am

man that looks real good. it looks like you have a couple types of macro algae in there ,does one out grow the other.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium / Plant Basket   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 3:48 pm

that actually turned out very nice...
Back to top Go down
Reefman

Reefman

PostSubject: (RE) Macro algea   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Ya I have at least two in it and one deffinatly out grows the other, but I can't tell you what they are with out reseaching macro algea types and names sorry! oh ya thats what I have friends like you for lol! thanks man
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Floating Refugium / Plant Basket   Floating Refugium /  Plant Basket Empty

Back to top Go down

Floating Refugium / Plant Basket
Page 1 of 1