An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

PostSubject: SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review   Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:57 am

I recently removed a hang refugium from one of my tanks and that gave me an excuse to try out a different skimmer,this time from SC Aquariums. This skimmer is a smaller unit with a skimmer size of about 4.25" L x 7" W x 17" H

The pump is a 28 watt 340 gph needle wheel that is housed underneath the skimmer itself making for a rather small foot print.

The collection cup has a nice seal that connects the chamber to the cup instead of a threaded neck.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review   Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:07 am

Flow control is with an old fashioned stand pipe that is rotated,the addition of the numbers\gauge is a wlcome addition.

Inside the chamber is a small bubble plate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review   Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:21 am

Here she is in action,the skimmer chamber is opaque with tiny bubbles.

There seems to be a fair amount of micro bubbles coming out of the skimmers return but I am sure a sponge or bubble trap\baffle would make short work of them.

Within 10 minutes of being on it is already pulling out some nasties from the watre column.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review   Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Here you can see it has pulled out all sorts of nasties. I must also mention that there is a HUGE amount of macro algae in the tank soaking up some of the nutrients.

As with most skimmers that have the stand pipe for flow adjustment it is a little touchy when changing the outflow but that is my only complaint wich does not account to much..All in all I must say so far I am very satisfied with the skimmers performance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review   

Back to top Go down

SC AQUARIUMS SCA-301 65 GALLON PROTEIN SKIMMER Review
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1