Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Feeding GBR Fry

Go down 
+2
badxgillen
Eyeballer
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
badxgillen

badxgillen

Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am

man i feel left out of all this ram fever.i guess there are still the electric blues and the golds.i have heard of a long fin variety as well.although i am really hopeing this all works out for you eyeballer as i will be there when you want to thin out the crowd so to speak.and as far as foods go you are using baby brine shrimps and first bites???
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 12:11 pm

That's awesome that mzsunshine grabbed a GBR! Hopefully they will pair up when you get your male.

I'm mixing a block of frozen BBS with a couple pinches of first bites in a little cup with some filtered water. Then I put it in the fridge. I'm feeding them 4-5 times per day. I have a 10mL syringe that use to suck up the mixture. I then inject it right into the school of fry. It has seemed to keep most of them alive to this point at least.

I'm somewhat worried that they aren't schooling any more. They are free roving all over the bottom of the tank. It makes them impossible to count. It will also make it impossible to use a gravel filter to clean the bottom of the tank. All of my water parameters are OK for now. I'm continuing to do 10-20% water changes every few days. Does anyone have advice about how to get the waste off of the bottom without sucking out the fry?
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Eyeballer wrote:
That's awesome that mzsunshine grabbed a GBR! Hopefully they will pair up when you get your male.

I'm mixing a block of frozen BBS with a couple pinches of first bites in a little cup with some filtered water. Then I put it in the fridge. I'm feeding them 4-5 times per day. I have a 10mL syringe that use to suck up the mixture. I then inject it right into the school of fry. It has seemed to keep most of them alive to this point at least.

I'm somewhat worried that they aren't schooling any more. They are free roving all over the bottom of the tank. It makes them impossible to count. It will also make it impossible to use a gravel filter to clean the bottom of the tank. All of my water parameters are OK for now. I'm continuing to do 10-20% water changes every few days. Does anyone have advice about how to get the waste off of the bottom without sucking out the fry?

Might be best not to gravel vac, but if you do then you could use a stocking over the intake. Although I don't know how much mulm that will allow sucked up. Just be sure to swoosh over the gravel before plunging in to hopefully shoo the fry away
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 04, 2011 1:24 pm

Just had to remove the mom. She started getting aggressive and began taking bites out of the school. I put her in a net breeder. She seemed fine there for a while. I then watched her eat 3 little frys who swam up to the net. She rammed the net, jerked them right through the fabric, and gulped them down. The perp is now in solitary confinement. Glad I got that "just in case" 10G going.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 12:43 am

Still going strong. They are 2 weeks old and about 15 surviving. I did end up intervening and pulling mom to a different tank around day 7 or 8. I just couldn't watch the numbers continue to drop. After I saw her swallow a mouth full of the school I put her in a breeder net and fired up a new 10 gal. I used water out of the original aquarium and an established filter out of another aquarium. It was fully functional within a day. Not the best idea but I decided to pull her the following day after I saw her yank 3 separate fry through the net and swallow them. Next spawning I'm going to let nature take it's own course. In the meantime, I'm working hard to keep these 15 little gems alive. I'll be glad to share when it's time to thin out... if I can keep them alive until then.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 am

i will give you some daphnia to help you along with the fry and you should pick up another ram and try again.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 10:32 am

Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying to grow out the culture. I think I've been noticing occasional BBS darting around. Is it possible that eggs are coming in with the frozen BBS and hatching in my tank?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am

that would be interesting seeing as they can survive desication dry periods with no water for many years.then hatch out.i have never heard of this through the freezeing process but weirder things have happened.they are more likely fresh water crustaceans like cyclops or a type of water flea or mite.since ther are no larger predators with the baby rams they have yet to be consumed.all in good time.
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Eyeballer wrote:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying to grow out the culture. I think I've been noticing occasional BBS darting around. Is it possible that eggs are coming in with the frozen BBS and hatching in my tank?

stranger things have happened...
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 10:29 am

Updated pictures. They are beginning to look like GBRs. In the bottom pic you can see the faint outline of the classic GBR dorsal fin on the fish hovering above the rock.

Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 Dsc00014
Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 Dsc00013
Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 Dsc00015
Back to top Go down
Higher Thinking

Higher Thinking

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Hey man that is really awesome! My pair had just laid another batch which hatched right before I took off for a week. Needless to say the 6 day fast resulted in no fry being there when I returned... What can ya do though? Anyway, god job!
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 12:40 pm

I kind of feel like I cheated by not letting the parents raise them. I'm definitely going the natural route next time.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 1:02 pm

can i reserve one or two.PLEASE Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Definitely.
Back to top Go down
Mzsunshine99

Mzsunshine99

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 12:38 am

I want some too!!!
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 19, 2011 12:45 am

Definitely.
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 8:28 pm

The fry are about 7 weeks old now. Growing and eating well. There are 8 surviving as of last count.

Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 03410
Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 04410
Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 04510
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 pm

your tank and plants look pretty clean what is your algae control?they are so cool.i bet it is gonna be hard to give up any.i hope you can get another batch soon.
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 31, 2011 10:22 pm

Those arent fry! Them is fish! Haha awesome! Congrats!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding GBR Fry   Feeding GBR Fry - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding GBR Fry
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2