Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

feeding roaches dogfood?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

feeding roaches dogfood? Empty
PostSubject: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:51 pm

I got this email from my reptile/arthropod supplier cautioning the use of dogfoods to feed roaches.

" Just a reminder to anyone using Dog food to feed their Roaches or Crickets...if they are dying it is because higher quality Dog food has a roach deterrent in it (safe for dogs so I am told), and seems to paralyze most insects...

As a side note, if you have a Reptile room, and are tired of roaches and crickets getting out and living in the corners, sprinkle some dog food around the perimeter and the corners, this will make it so your fuzzy animals ( dogs and cats) can still safely enter the room, and no harmful pesticides etc Smile"

Be forwarded!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptySat May 12, 2012 5:53 pm

no way...that is crazy and interesting.a insect deterant in the dog food.i actualy do use a dog food for my rodent and sometimes feed it to various other feeder animals and had no idea.i even try to get the higher quality as in thought it would be a better product.does the ingredient come up on the bag??
Back to top Go down
mvpaquatics

mvpaquatics

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptySat May 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Upon further research, what little info I could find seem to implicate extracts and oils, from things like rosemary or garlic, which a lot of high end, natural products carry.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mvpaquariummaintenance.com
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptySun May 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Hmmmm maybe i can go for the high quality cat food? i might go to the seed store and see if anyone there knows a thing or two about it.i suppose i could just stick with the brand i use as i have not noticed any ill effects. i usualy just buy that wich is not the most costly but not the cheapest rather than stick with a brand but i will change that.i sometimes forget to check into the ingredients of the animal foods i purchase and that is not good.i recently was speaking with a member about there dogs alergies to many foods and how many people are not aware of that the illness exist or even that the food caused the problem in the first place.i know that was off subject but it makes me think about being more informed in the food purchases i will be making fish, rabbit , or roach Laughing
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptyMon May 14, 2012 4:42 pm

that is actually very interesting...
Back to top Go down
kireek

kireek

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 1:31 pm

I am glad your supplier brought this to your attention. I think companies should have to list all the ingredients in their products.Too many additives are listed off as "natural " flavors.You shouln't have to call customer service to figure out what you are feeding to your pet.Natural product companies usually list all ingredients well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: feeding roaches dogfood?   feeding roaches dogfood? Empty

Back to top Go down

feeding roaches dogfood?
Page 1 of 1