Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed Empty
PostSubject: Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed   Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

As a Christmas present I promised my son that I'd buy him a fish to put in one of my tanks. He chose a sumo loach. I figured that it would go OK in my 60G because there are rocks, plants, wood, plenty of places to stake out his own territory. So the little bastard comes home and goes into QT. He was somewhat shy as expected... until feeding time. He would erupt out of his hiding place and streak around the tank, nipping the hell out of the 2 mollies and one platy that live in that tank every time he swam past. I figured that he wasn't really satan's spawn, just stressed by living in a 10G.

After a couple weeks I moved him over to the 60G where I keep 6 assorted rainbows, 3 apistos, 2 corys, one pleco, and a super-friendly electric blue jack dempsey. He immediately disappears behind the biggest rock in the tank and I think that all is well... until feeding time. Same story. The little turd streaks around the tank nipping the rainbows from behind. He doesn't mess with the jack dempsey too much and he completely leaves the apistos alone. It seems that the faster the fish move, the more he's interested in nipping their tail. And to make the matter worse, he chooses the highest point of the biggest rock as his territory. (Right in the center of the tank.)

At this point about a week later, the rainbows are a bit less colorful so I suspect that they are stressed. The apistos are showing spawning behavior again so I think they're OK. The jack dempsey seems fine, although he defensively turns nose-to-nose every time the sumo swims near.

So the questions:
1. Any advice would be welcomed.
2. Is this normal behavior for a sumo loach?
3. Is this situation likely to improve as the sumo gets to know his surroundings better?
4. Is it likely that the bastardy sumo will turn my friendly electric blue jack dempsey from completely docile to aggressive? (He's young-ish, 2.5-3 inches.)

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed   Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:00 pm

like some people, some animals are just @$$holes, not much you can do but remove/isolate him...
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed   Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 12:49 am

do you have a TIME OUT tank? or better yet a fish prison for permanent resident bad boys.maybe just trade him in for a differnt loach there are tons out there.i would trade you for the little nugget. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed   Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed Empty

Back to top Go down

Bastardly Sumo Loach Advice Needed
Page 1 of 1