Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I am THE SHRIMP KING...

Go down 
+3
badxgillen
theRedSkull
Summit MicroFarm
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

I am THE SHRIMP KING... Empty
PostSubject: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:41 am

Hello everyone. I am a Corvallis local living in town for many years. Many of you may know me from hangin out at the Animal House, but for those of you who do not...
I am an avid aquarist with 13 tanks currently running my shrimp breeding projects. I have been raising and breeding fish and inverts since early childhood and have a BS in Fisheries Business from OSU and a Certificate in Aquaculture from Cumberland County College. I have bred everything from guppies to discus and endangered salmonids to endangered catastomids with many in between. Roughly 3.5 years ago I caught the freshwater aquarium shrimp DISEASE and have been sickened ever since. Currently my varieities include CRS and CBS grades A-SSS+, Red Cherry, Red Claw Macro, Snow White/Golden Bee, and my newest project which includes BKK, Panda, Red Ruby, Shadow Blue Panda and their F1 mischlings.
I am active on several other forums, but it is very nice to see that one of our own has started a local forum for all of us fish geeks. I will make an attempt to intro myself to all of you individually but time is pretty short at the moment so barring that...HELLO EVERYONE!!!! NICE to meet you all.

alien
Back to top Go down
theRedSkull

theRedSkull

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:38 am

welcome to the forum, would love to see some pics...

i too am a big fan of inverts...
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am

is there no uploader? pale
I have to use like photobucket to embed?
bummer

alien
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

https://bertshouse.forumotion.com/t92-posting-pictures
this might help with the pics...i welcome you to our forum as well.i am sure you will be at home here with us fellow hobbyists i too love shrimps fresh and marine.i also like them with tartar and cocktail.maybe at some point we can get together and shoot the $h!t. Smile

Last edited by badxgillen on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 am

Thanks Robert!
Back to top Go down
InvertsRock

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 2:54 am

What's that crazy ceature in your photo?? what kind of marine inverts do you have? Do you breed them??!! Sounds pretty cool!
Back to top Go down
ENBG

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 3:26 am

Hello! I have been inactive in the forum for a good while due to being busy and out of town, but I am pretty new to the aquarium game and have a strong interest in inverts as well. I have been trying to track down some good shrimp species lately but haven't had much luck at any LFSs due to the high prices, small shrimps, and unavailability of what I am looking for. I have been trying to establish a population of blueberry shrimp but so far haven't found any that are actually BLUE since a few months ago.. I would definitely like to see some pics of what you have going on in your breeding programs!
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 4:59 am

InvertsRock- That beautiful female is a rare mutant in the Taiwan Bee line of shrimp. It is called a Shadow Bee Blue Panda. The Taiwan Bee shrimp are a mutant of the Crystal shrimp line. The truth is that no one really knows, and if they do they arn't telling, what the true genetic origins are. It is my belief that it was a cross of snow white/golden bee x crystal black shrimp. I believe that either or both may have been hybredized with a tiger shrimp that had escape notice in a holding tank somewhere in Asia's mind numbing amount of MASS BREEDERS. I know how easy it is to lose track of shimp in my meager 13 tank system, much less multi thousand gallon systems used overseas. That presents another conundrum as no one really knows what the origin of the golden bee's are either. At any rate, Taiwan bees are quite popular now and very pricy. They are considered (at this time) an advanced species as far as difficulty. They demand pristine conditions and stable water parameters. I will start some threads depending on questions I get or whatever the interest is. I will start a Taiwan bee thread this evening.
I should back it up and start by saying these are a dwarf freshwater shrimp reaching ~1-1.75" . I do not currently keep any marine tanks.

ENBG-I do not keep blueberry shrimp, but I will start getting some pics up when I can.

alien
Back to top Go down
Eyeballer

Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:44 am

Welcome! I'm excited that there's a serious shrimper on the forum. I've just recently started thinking about bringing some CRS into one of my tanks. Do they do well in a community tank with smaller fish? Not to put you to work already, but... would you be willing to start a brief thread in the inverts section about what the shrimp grades mean and how they are determined? No rush, I'd just like to hear it from the horse's mouth at some point. Thanks and welcome again!
Back to top Go down
http://www.valleyeyecare.com
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:42 pm

I will have blueberry shrimp in awhile, just sold a bunch off last night actually. I raise red neocaridina heteropoda and blue neocaridina heteropoda. Have plans to expand out to 5 additional variants in the near future. Here are examples of my adults.[img]I am THE SHRIMP KING... Blue_c11
[img][url=https://servimg.com/view/16640666/62]I am THE SHRIMP KING... Red_ch11
[/img]
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
InvertsRock

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:50 am

Wow!! I had no idea there was a world of shrimp breeders aside from for eating. I don't have a freshwater tank but that might make me think about it!! Is there a good place to buy freshwater inverts??
Back to top Go down
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 2:06 am

Nice shrimp fishfanatic! Nice rich, deep color.

InvertsRock- Animal House has a limited selection from time to time. There are two shops in Portland that regularly carry limited selections and and I have heard one of the large shops in Eugene also has a limited selection. Aqua Bids can be a great place to get great stuff...forums of course and hook ups! Many forums do "groups buys" to bring in top quality specimens.
alien
Back to top Go down
fishfanatic

fishfanatic

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 6:08 am

Make sure if you are going to buy from Aqua bid that you make sure they are reputable. I have won stuff there before and ended up getting crappy cross bred shrimp even after they swore they were pure. Don't be afraid to do some research and talk to people who have bought from that person before. Of course you can also buy from me when I have stock available. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestmri.com
Summit MicroFarm

Summit MicroFarm

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:45 pm

I agree with fishfanatic. You must do your research when using Aqua Bid, as you would buying from anyone. It is always wise to check feedback and/or references.
As fishfanatic said, forums are a great place to make purchases as well...generally people develope more personal relations with those on forums than on Aqua Bid. Anyway, good luck. Definitely let me know if you are looking for anything in particular... I MAY be of some help. Wink

alien
Back to top Go down
InvertsRock

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:54 am

So far, the best place for marine inverts has been The Premium Aquarium in Salem. Really, really cool stuff. And...Garrett is expanding even as I type!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am THE SHRIMP KING...   I am THE SHRIMP KING... Empty

Back to top Go down

I am THE SHRIMP KING...
Page 1 of 1