Berts House
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Oregon based pet forum for people interested in aquatics, small mammals, herps and invertebrates. Find us at Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/berts.house?ref=tn_tnmn

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

start of my reef tank

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

start of my reef tank  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 am

That would be awesome I really like mushrooms
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2013 1:09 am

Cool....so when should we get your starter coral...or better yet are you coming to the Coral Hobbyist frag meeting that BadXgillen is hosting? I will probably have far more frags available as well at the meeting.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 12:28 am

I think I will go to the hobbies meeting sounds like a place were I can learn some more information on the saltwater tank stuff. so maybe I could get a mushroom from you then?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 am

So I think I can add another fish to my tank does anyone have any ideas for fish
Back to top Go down
Mischief-Morgan

Mischief-Morgan

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:54 am

Chalk bass are fun and pretty and reef safe, and stay small. How large of a tank? If you have room, the hippo tang is super fun, ours has a ton of personality. Also blue jaw trigger is reef safe and fun after they get over being shy. Another smallish one that I have and enjoy is anthias.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 am

SO what else do you have asides from the chromis? Wrasses can be nice looking and utilitarian.Clowns are always a good addition as well.
Back to top Go down
Hamstern

Hamstern

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 2:09 am

Sure I'll defenetly be at the meeting and I could grab you a shroom and some macro
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 12:25 am

ive decided to try again but with more knowledge and patience:D . i have 20 pounds of sand and 27 pounds of rock along with a 90 gallon hang on the back filter im also trying to figure out how to build a skimmer and am thinking about building a refugium for it. i was told i need to get my salinity correct and buy some live sand and a few hermits and snails is that right.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 2:42 am

A good dose of live sand and rock\rubble will help you out in the starting cycle. Salinity is usually 023 in the stores and in many tanks,sometime its kept at 025 for more invertebrate heavy tanks.Building a skimmer will save you a few dollars for sure but you will need to be crafty. Are you thinking about an air driven skimmer or a venturi pump?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm really not sure on what I want to do with the skimmer. What is going to do the best job?
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 pm

I prefer a venturi pump for consistency but the air pump will be cheaper. Did you see the DIY threads on here with the peanut butter skimmer?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:15 pm

I did see that skimmer it doesn't appear to be to hard to build. if I were to use smaller bottles to make it shorter would that affect it because my tank is short? And what power head would be best to use?
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 11:22 pm

start of my reef tank  - Page 2 Reef_t10

so here is the tank setup with water and my salinity is at 1.024 hopefully I can keep it there. Im adding some live sand tomorrow and some hermits and snails.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 1:46 am

Nice the rock work is looking good so far.You should drop me a line before you make any crazy purchases as I will give you some sand to get your tank started.
Back to top Go down
firegouramiman11

firegouramiman11

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 10:50 pm

so through my research on what i want in this tank i have been thinking about green bubble tip anemones or rose bubbles can i keep a anemone in this tank with other corals or is it to small.
Back to top Go down
badxgillen

badxgillen

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 11:34 pm

I think once they settle down you should be good. They will sting the corals they traverse over so as long as you know that. Also some bubble tips get outrageously big,I have seen some that are almost the size of a bicycle tire.But for the most part the majority of varieties out in the pet trade will stay small under most aquarium conditions.Long story short I think if you have the light and the water chemistry you will be all good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: start of my reef tank    start of my reef tank  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

start of my reef tank
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2